HP Smart Stream - Clarification on Scaling objects

Started by littly_kittly, July 19, 2012, 03:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

littly_kittly

I have taken over a HP SMART STREAM project from another person.
The project is a personalised magazine which contains a cartoon character of a talking car. Customers can personalise the cartoon character (e.g. wheel colour, body colour, window accessories etc).

The project is created in InDesign, but the artwork for the character (include the variables for the wheel colour, body colour, window accessories ) is made in Illustrator as EPS files.

The document is sent to the printer as a JLT file along with the EPS files for the variables.

The cartoon character appears on several pages at different sizes.
The original designer created different sized artwork of the cartoon character in Illustrator for each page.
However, as the art for the character is the same on each page (the only thing that changes is the size), I thought it would be more efficient to create the character once and then just resize the artwork using Indesign's scale tool for each page.

Because the document is sent to printer as JLT file (with the EPS variables), will my approach cause problems?

I've had a test print from the printer and seems okay. However, I would like some clarification from someone who has experience with Smart Stream.

David

I am no expert on Smart Stream, but I think your more efficient way would be the best approach.
Less art makes it easier to make edits and keep things organized.

oh, and Welcome to the forums!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Slappy

Heyyyyy, this Topic looks familiar! (I'm over on PrintPlanet too.)  :hello:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Slappy on July 19, 2012, 09:20:03 PMHeyyyyy, this Topic looks familiar! (I'm over on PrintPlanet too.)  :hello:
shhh! you never admit that... it's like PA (prepress anonymous)
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

littly_kittly

Thanks for all the replies!

QuoteHeyyyyy, this Topic looks familiar! (I'm over on PrintPlanet too.)
It's so hard to find a good Smart Stream community as not many people use it.

DCurry

Shouldn't be a problem with your approach.

I've used SS extensively over the past 3 years, but mostly for text variables so my experience with graphic variables is a bit limited. I'm happy to help with anything, although my current job is ending in 2 weeks and I won't have SS at the new place. I also have contact with one of the engineers on the SS development team at HP.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

littly_kittly

Hi Dcurry.

If possible, could you ask the SS team if there are any drawback with my approach (of reusing the same EPS variable files on different pages and re-sziing them with Indesign's scale tool).

If you can I would really appreciate it.

If not, not to worry.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Slappy

Quote from: littly_kittly on July 20, 2012, 12:59:43 AMThanks for all the replies!

QuoteHeyyyyy, this Topic looks familiar! (I'm over on PrintPlanet too.)
It's so hard to find a good Smart Stream community as not many people use it.
Very true, do you happen to belong to DScoop? They had a very active forum at one time, I haven't had an account in a few years but it may be worth looking into if you can swing the price of admission. Much like DCurry I'll be out of a job in a week or so, or I'd offer to help test your files.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Jaygames

Quote from: littly_kittly on July 19, 2012, 03:04:46 PMI have taken over a HP SMART STREAM project from another person.
The project is a personalised magazine which contains a cartoon character of a talking car. Customers can personalise the cartoon character (e.g. wheel colour, body colour, window accessories etc).

The project is created in InDesign, but the artwork for the character (include the variables for the wheel colour, body colour, window accessories ) is made in Illustrator as EPS files.

The document is sent to the printer as a JLT file along with the EPS files for the variables.

The cartoon character appears on several pages at different sizes.
The original designer created different sized artwork of the cartoon character in Illustrator for each page.
However, as the art for the character is the same on each page (the only thing that changes is the size), I thought it would be more efficient to create the character once and then just resize the artwork using Indesign's scale tool for each page.

Because the document is sent to printer as JLT file (with the EPS variables), will my approach cause problems?

I've had a test print from the printer and seems okay. However, I would like some clarification from someone who has experience with Smart Stream.

I just did a job at press using .jlt with variable images of QR codes.  20,000 QR code jpegs to be exact.  Mind you I'm using SS in Quark 8, but we used the scaling feature in Quark's picture box and it worked fine for the whole job.  Just scale the image in InDesign and it should keep the settings at press.  However if you decide to keep it the way that it is, I don't think you will see a significant time difference on ripping at press.

StudioMonkey

There might be another reason why there are different sizes created in Illustrator; if you scale the big size down, the strokes get thinner too.  With a cartoon car you may want the strokes at, say 1pt in a big size, but 0.75pt in a 50% size - i.e. the strokes in the smaller version often need to be thicker in pro at smaller sizes.
Might be worth checking the original designer's Illustrator files to see if this is what they did.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

littly_kittly

littly_kittly

Here's the definitive answer on this (from bitter experience!).

I thought I would post it to help anyone else:

In Smartstream, if you create a JYLT file in rich format, you can scale or rotate the objects in InDesign and they will print fine. 

If you create a JYLT file in Fast Template mode, you can only rotate the objects in InDesign in 45 degree angles (e.g. 45, 95, 180 etc). From personal experience, I wouldn't bother with any rotation. I'm not too clear yet what the score is with scaling objects, but I will post when I find out.

Explanation of the different formats:
-Rich is when you embedded the data in the JYLT file.  This means that if the printer needs to change the variable  data, s/he needs access to your InDesign file and all the related artwork.
-Fast Template is when the data is not embedded in the JYLT file. This means the printer can change the variable data, without access to your InDesign file.

When creating a JYLT file there is a drop down box next to the JYLT format that lets you switch between Rich and Fast Template. By default it is set to Rich.
After you have changed modes, run a preflight and it should highlight any major problems (unfortunately, it doesn't highlight all the problems.)
Also, before completing any work, do a test page and send it to the printer. Double check with the printer if s/he will be using Fast Template or Rich.

In my situation, I did a test page and sent it to print. However, I didn't know that there was a difference between Fast Template and Rich, so the test page printed fine. It's only when I finished the work that the problems stated popping up!

Hope this helps someone!