Spot Varnishes

Started by Farabomb, March 28, 2018, 12:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

Spot varnish, does anyone still do it? Pretty much everything we do gets AQ but we just ran a spot varnish for a customer because they insisted you can't inkjet on AQ. I'm pretty sure that's false. Even the ink guy had to scrape the bottom of the barrel because nobody uses varnish anymore.

Just wondering how those not stuck in 2003 do it.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

andyfest

Quote from: Farabomb on March 28, 2018, 12:07:38 PMSpot varnish, does anyone still do it? Pretty much everything we do gets AQ but we just ran a spot varnish for a customer because they insisted you can't inkjet on AQ. I'm pretty sure that's false. Even the ink guy had to scrape the bottom of the barrel because nobody uses varnish anymore.

Just wondering how those not stuck in 2003 do it.
We still do jobs that require an AQ knockout for some of our clients that are stuck in the past (I mean further in the past than us). Usually our CAD dept will cut specific areas out of a coating blanket where the knock-out is located. We supply CAD a one up file of the dieline with the KO area indicated and they import that into Cimex and populate the layout before cutting the blanket on a flatbed.
There are AQ coatings that are made specifically so that specific inkjet inks will adhere to it without spreading or flaking off. We use that type of coating for 90% of our carton work.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Farabomb

I was aware that it's possible to cut blankets. We've done it here if only have the sheet needs AQ. I also knew of the fancy CAD cut blankets but I knew damn well we'd never see that. The owner is fully stuck in the early 1980's. I'm happy we don't have any film or frames anymore or we'd still be using them.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Possum

Early 80's???? It's a wonder you don't have a Compugraphic or AM Varityper around. And how 'bout those 7 inch floppies (disks, I mean).
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

AaronH

We do them on occasion. Not to often though and usually only on "higher-end" jobs. One of our crazy salesmen is convinced you have to add 2-3% metallic to the spot varnish (Gloss or dull) when it goes over any metallic ink. I'm not sure if I can see a difference and I'm not sure if the pressmen even do it.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

DigiCorn

Back when I was at shops that did spot varnish, we just made a spot varnish plate with the identical art to be varnished on it as 100% solid and varnished it inline on the press.

For spot AQ you need to cut the blanket if you don't have a tower.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on March 28, 2018, 01:45:04 PMBack when I was at shops that did spot varnish, we just made a spot varnish plate with the identical art to be varnished on it as 100% solid and varnished it inline on the press.

For spot AQ you need to cut the blanket if you don't have a tower.

Ditto for the spot varnish.

We do the AQ coat inline in the press.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

We have a tack on AQ tower so spot AQ probably isn't possible. This is probably the first spot varn plate I've made in well over a year. The last one was for a AQ/strikethrough job to emulate spot UV.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

scottrsimons

We do spot varnishes at times, and we just make a plate with the artwork at 100% in the areas needed. And sometimes with flood AQ.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

mc hristel

We do a lot of work that has mailing panels and we do the inkjet work in-house. When the piece gets an AQ coating we will always knock out the ink jet area by cutting the blanket (the press guys love that). I don't doubt that there are coatings available that can be ink jetted on but we apparently aren't using any of those.

The majority of work we do that gets coated will be some form of AQ, but still, we also to spot varnishes from time to time. Usually some combination of spot dull and gloss, or a dispersion with a dull varnish and gloss AQ.

Fat Boy Tim

Yep... We still do spot varnish. But to be honest, demand is dropping.

G_Town

Quote from: mc hristel on March 28, 2018, 04:58:39 PMWe do a lot of work that has mailing panels and we do the inkjet work in-house. When the piece gets an AQ coating we will always knock out the ink jet area by cutting the blanket (the press guys love that). I don't doubt that there are coatings available that can be ink jetted on but we apparently aren't using any of those.

The majority of work we do that gets coated will be some form of AQ, but still, we also to spot varnishes from time to time. Usually some combination of spot dull and gloss, or a dispersion with a dull varnish and gloss AQ.

Spot AQ, Spot UV, Spot Matte, spot velvet touch, spot Montane, spot texture coat, spot motion coat, spotspotspotspotspotspot!!!!

Tracy

Hey! you missed a spot :laugh:

G_Town

Quote from: Tracy on April 02, 2018, 01:38:31 PMHey! you missed a spot :laugh:

I see what you did there  :rotf: