Everything you ever wanted to know about Comic-Sans...

Started by Joe, May 24, 2012, 10:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Fontroversy: What's the Deal with Comic Sans?

I especially love the last sentence of this quote:

Quote"Like the tone of a spoken voice, the characteristics of a typeface convey meaning. The design of the typeface is, in itself, its voice. Often this voice speaks louder than the text itself. Thus, when designing a "Do Not Enter" sign the use of a heavy-​​stroked, attention-​​commanding font such as Impact or Arial Black is appropriate. Typesetting such a message in Comic Sans would be ludicrous. Though this is sort of misuse is frequent, it is unjustified. Clearly, Comic Sans as a voice conveys silliness, childish naivete, irreverence, and is far too casual for such a purpose. It is analogous to showing up for a black tie event in a clown costume."

:lmao:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

I'm here.

Got a Powerpoint "print file" yesterday. It's a serious invitation for a military change of command event. Opened it on the PC and the whole thing was set in Comic Sans! I was pleased. Then I selected some type and realized it was all supposed to be Monotype Corsiva but Powerpoint gives you absolutely no indication of missing fonts. Nice feature.

Still sticking with Papyrus.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Greg_Firestone

gnubler

QuoteEven beyond most others; even Papyrus, my personal arch nemesis.

Huh?  :laugh:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david