Adding a 5th color or spot channel

Started by Lumpy, March 11, 2009, 11:24:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumpy

I'm wondering how to add a 5th color to a .psd file to create sort of a highlight color to the file.  We've received files like this for movie posters, and I'm wondering how its done. Lets say you had a psd file of DCS's picture and wanted to make the blood a 5th color along with some highlights. I don't mean to pick on you DCS, but your picture is a good example.
Son you better watch your back when a poor man gets the blues.

ninjaPB_43

Spot channel.  Save as DCSv2..   should then be able to place into Indesign layout and it will bring that extra channel in as a spot.
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Lumpy

No, the file has only 4 channels. I want create a 5th one.

G_Town

From channels tab pull down little arrow to new spot channel?

Lumpy

I guess I should get some screenshots up here to show you all.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Lumpy on March 11, 2009, 11:24:10 AMI'm wondering how to add a 5th color to a .psd file to create sort of a highlight color to the file.  We've received files like this for movie posters, and I'm wondering how its done. Lets say you had a psd file of DCS's picture and wanted to make the blood a 5th color along with some highlights. I don't mean to pick on you DCS, but your picture is a good example.

Lumpy... creating a spot color, or fifth color in PS is pretty easy. In your Channels Palette, go to the flyout located on the very upper right side of the palette. Choose New Spot Channel. Make it any color value you wish with whatever opacity... it doesn't matter. Name the Channel Varnish or whatever, because THAT color should come through to whatever app you end up printing it from.

When saving, save it as a PSD, with the Spot colors option clicked on... all done.

The avatar is actiually a creation from some old Adobe Free Photos that came with PS 2, I think... the blood is actually a piece of film that got water splashed on it. It looked cool enough to scan. The rest was composited using Channels and offsets to create the highlights and shadows, and lastly a Displacement Map was built to "wrap" the blood around the mask. Pretty advanced stuff.
Member #285 - Civilian

G_Town

Quote from: Lumpy on March 11, 2009, 11:41:38 AMI guess I should get some screenshots up here to show you all.

I would take a channel and copy it to the new spot channel you just made per my and DCS's instruction, in the case of DCS's avatar I would most likey choose the magenta channel copy and paste it into your new spot then manipulate it how you want it to show up.

I used to do this all the time at a previous job for images containing bright reds and yellows to help them pop <----sorry for that term.

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Lumpy on March 11, 2009, 11:37:44 AMNo, the file has only 4 channels. I want create a 5th one.

guess I should have been more thorough with my answer. DCS, and G got it, though.. 
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

DigitalCrapShoveler

It's a lot easier if you are woking with a layered file and you yourself create the additional colors and highlights. Working with something pre-existing like my avatar for example, becomes much more difficult, and in that manner, I would do what G does.

The problem is, everything UNDERNEATH the 5th, needs to dissappear or it will look like shit, unless it's a varnish.
Member #285 - Civilian

G_Town

Heres a quick screen shot, something like this?

Lumpy

gnubler

Quote from: G_Town on March 11, 2009, 11:54:45 AMI used to do this all the time at a previous job for images containing bright reds and yellows to help them pop <----sorry for that term.

What are you, a CSR now?  :laugh:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

G_Town

Quote from: gnubler on March 11, 2009, 12:28:27 PM
Quote from: G_Town on March 11, 2009, 11:54:45 AMI used to do this all the time at a previous job for images containing bright reds and yellows to help them pop <----sorry for that term.

What are you, a CSR now?  :laugh:

:huh: pop, snap, punch? I could be I know the lingo.

Nick Burns

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on March 11, 2009, 11:46:57 AMPretty advanced stuff.

Especially considering you'er not talking CS2, you're talking PS2.
Oh by the way, YOU'RE WELCOME!

DigitalCrapShoveler

No spot channels or layers back then, eh? :wink:
Member #285 - Civilian