I Don't understand "Paste Into"

Started by rickself, January 29, 2020, 01:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickself

I have a client file that was built entirely in InDesign with placed graphics. I have a dieline from Illustrator and want to paste the design into the dieline ad do it in InDesign. I have copied the dieline from Illustrator and pasted into InDesign (probably the only time I've ever copied from one program to the other). I have tried copying or cutting everything from the page to paste into the dieline. I've seen this work before and I think it had something to do with how the Illustrator path was copied from Illustrator.

This should work, correct?
Help!
Rick Self, Prepress Oldie
Mac Mini M1   G5 Quad-Core Intel Sierra  HP DesignJet Z6 44in   RICOH Pro C5200S
Fiery BCE5  Xitron Navigator v.13   Screen 8000II   Azura Plates   Komori L640

born2print

Interesting, I have never done that / thought it wouldn't work
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

David

If you copy an item from Indesign, then paste it into a shape in Indesign, it will let you.
If you copy from Illy and try to paste into a shape in Indesign, no go
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

you can do eeeeet!

Just use the white arrow selection tool instead of the black one so you are grabbing the image in InDesign and not the frame the image is in. then paste inside the path.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

rickself

Okay. The InDesign file has 10 layers. Looking at it now, the only thing I need to really "Paste Into" is the background layer. All the copy and other crap can sit on top. Lemme try the background only and report back.
Rick Self, Prepress Oldie
Mac Mini M1   G5 Quad-Core Intel Sierra  HP DesignJet Z6 44in   RICOH Pro C5200S
Fiery BCE5  Xitron Navigator v.13   Screen 8000II   Azura Plates   Komori L640

andyfest

Quote from: rickself on January 29, 2020, 01:29:14 PM
I have a client file that was built entirely in InDesign with placed graphics. I have a dieline from Illustrator and want to paste the design into the dieline ad do it in InDesign. I have copied the dieline from Illustrator and pasted into InDesign (probably the only time I've ever copied from one program to the other). I have tried copying or cutting everything from the page to paste into the dieline. I've seen this work before and I think it had something to do with how the Illustrator path was copied from Illustrator.

This should work, correct?
Help!

If it was me, I'd work the other way around. Export an eps or pdf from InDesign and open in Illy (I can hear the groans already). Then copy and paste the dieline into a top layer and make sure the stroke is set to overprint. Illustrator presents the most accurate way of placing the dieline. Then if necessary you can place the whole file into InDesign. We did this hundreds, maybe thousands, of times in the folding carton trade when we received artwork as an InDesign file with no dieline placed.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

born2print

How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

David

Quote...open in Illy (I can hear the groans already)...

I only do that when necessary....  20, maybe 30 time a day

:drunk3:

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

pspdfppdfxhd

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway