10 Cool Mac Keyboard Shortcuts You Never Knew About

Started by David, May 13, 2011, 12:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

And why didn't I ever know about keyboard shortcuts for Trashing? Missed it in Mac 101.   :laugh:   Now using it all the time....   :cool:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

Quote from: gnubler on May 17, 2011, 10:37:44 AMI've been using it all morning! FUN!!!

...until you get one of those 'oh I need that file, I'll just retrieve it from trash... oh, that's right... it's gone'   :shrug:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

Joe

Files on a network share do not go to the trashcan when you delete them whether you are using the shortcut keyboard commands or not so it's not possible to get them back once you delete them. Back when files on the network shares did go to the trashcan when deleted, I would go around and delete everyone's trashcan just to screw with them. I still do it on their Macs with local files. They WILL eventually learn to not put files in the trash they may need later.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on May 17, 2011, 05:56:35 PMFiles on a network share do not go to the trashcan when you delete them whether you are using the shortcut keyboard commands or not so it's not possible to get them back once you delete them. Back when files on the network shares did go to the trashcan when deleted, I would go around and delete everyone's trashcan just to screw with them. I still do it on their Macs with local files. They WILL eventually learn to not put files in the trash they may need later.

One does try not to...   :grin:   Cmd+Opt+Delete is certainly a fast training method, on that.   :laugh:

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on May 17, 2011, 05:56:35 PMI would go around and delete everyone's trashcan just to screw with them. I still do it on their Macs with local files.

Are you single?  :hello:

I have seen trash cans that contain thousands and thousands of files. I don't understand it. I empty mine daily before I backup.

frailer

Quote from: gnubler on May 17, 2011, 09:10:33 PM
Quote from: Joe on May 17, 2011, 05:56:35 PMI would go around and delete everyone's trashcan just to screw with them. I still do it on their Macs with local files.

Are you single?  :hello:

I have seen trash cans that contain thousands and thousands of files. I don't understand it. I empty mine daily before I backup.

They're full because they don't understand it.   :laugh:

beermonster

actually i'm a bit guilty of hoarding a few bits in the trash can thingamajig

always seems that JUST after i secure empty that i needed summat that i KNOW was in there...............................................
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

I delete once a month, when we do monthly backups.
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

Farabomb

Was trying to fix my brother's email and noticed a shedload of crap in the deleted items folder. I was just about to delete it and he stopped me. I asked why and he said I have emails in there that I want to keep... So you put it in the trash?  :huh: :banghead:
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

That's why I make a Tentative Trash folder on every Mac I work on. It gets dumped every few months or so.

Farabomb

In every job folder is a folder named trash when done. I delete that before I archive.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job