XMPie impositon

Started by Stiv, November 22, 2011, 11:17:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stiv

I have been doing postcards forever and now I have a 16 page 8.5 x 11 doc with variable data on a few pages.

My problem is that I need to output this thing in spreads. I don't see how unless I break this doc down into 12 x 18 spreads and I would end up with 4 separate 12 x 18 docs with variable data.

Is this how you guys do it?

t-pat

Quote from: Stiv on November 22, 2011, 11:17:39 AMI have been doing postcards forever and now I have a 16 page 8.5 x 11 doc with variable data on a few pages.

My problem is that I need to output this thing in spreads. I don't see how unless I break this doc down into 12 x 18 spreads and I would end up with 4 separate 12 x 18 docs with variable data.

Is this how you guys do it?

We don't do xmpie for books, but if we were forced to I would think we'd have to build everything in printer's spreads first because xmpie impo is shit. Not sure you'd need separate documents though.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Stiv

I cannot specify which pages to print from XMPie and there is not a way to specify the pages at the RIP. All the RIP "sees" is a 14,000 page doc. This is a real PITA.

t-pat

Quote from: Stiv on November 22, 2011, 12:27:41 PMI cannot specify which pages to print from XMPie and there is not a way to specify the pages at the RIP. All the RIP "sees" is a 14,000 page doc. This is a real PITA.

yes, that's normal :)

Is that ok to have that many pages or do you need to be able to slip sheet after x pages, or are you trying to stitch? If you're trying to stitch, there's the bitch.
vdp donkey

t-pat

just be glad you're not in this hell, here are the headers for the job I'm working on now (all fields are in play and most have some sort of logic to check for length or suppress, and there's layer visibility triggers based on these too):

IMBAlpha,oel,prefix,first,last,company,visual-indicator,package,tray,alt-address,delivery-address,city,state,zip,
ForiegnPostalCode,Country,fullname,alpha1,IMBNumeric,alpha2,DealerCode,DLRNAME,DLRADDR,DLRCITY,
DLRSTATE,DLRZIP,DLRPHONE,DLRWEB,DealerContact,DealerTitle,Days1,Hours1,Days2,Hours2,Days3,Hours3,
Days4,Hours4,Coupon1Title,Coupon1Offer,Coupon1Disclaimer1,Coupon1Disclaimer2,Coupon1Expiration,
Coupon2Title,Coupon2Offer1,Coupon2Offer2,Coupon2Offer3,Coupon2Offer4,Coupon2Disclaimer1,
Coupon2Disclaimer2,Coupon2Expiration,Coupon3Title,Coupon3Offer,Coupon3Disclaimer1,Coupon3Disclaimer2,
Coupon3Expiration,Coupon4Title,Coupon4Offer,Coupon4Disclaimer1,Coupon4Disclaimer2,Coupon4Expiration

It maxed out BCC Mail Manager, cannot fit one more record/character.

(Edited by Admin: Added returns)
vdp donkey

Stiv

t-pat

and there are 4 base shells we're imprinting on - so 4 different lists. I'm trying to keep it together but on top of it the client is being shitpicky about formatting and of course changing their minds about stuff.  :drunk3: :banana: :hot2:
vdp donkey

Ear

Where's youston? He's an XMPie ninja.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

t-pat

Quote from: Earendil on November 22, 2011, 01:55:57 PMWhere's youston? He's an XMPie ninja.

ninjas can't fix the fact that there is no provision for booklets in xmpie. You have to craft your solution out of balsa wood, float it down the gutter and see if it sinks.
vdp donkey

youston

Quote from: t-pat on November 22, 2011, 02:35:53 PM
Quote from: Earendil on November 22, 2011, 01:55:57 PMWhere's youston? He's an XMPie ninja.

ninjas can't fix the fact that there is no provision for booklets in xmpie. You have to craft your solution out of balsa wood, float it down the gutter and see if it sinks.

Sorry I missed this.

I don't know how you solved your issue, but I would have:

1. Given each record a unique ID #.
2. Built a separate table that only contained the information that Mail Manager needed to sort the list.
3. Brought it back into a database program and added the stripped-out information back to the sorted list using the unique ID #.
4. Had XMPie output single-page PDFs.
5. Built the imposition in Preps using the individual page PDFs that XMPie created.
6. Had preps output a PDF of each sig.
7. Profit?

Dan Chak

Good Gump, you are my new bestest friend.
I was given a 20 minute lesson on XMPie by the (gleefully) departing graphic artist I was replacing 4 years ago. Everything since then I have learned on my own, and there's always a great deal of pain involved. I haven't done anything others might consider super complicated but it sure has stretched my poor brain cell from time to time.
Mac OS 10.6.8
iGen 3/ iGen 4

"With a great deal of patience and plenty of saliva, the elephant deflowered the mosquito."

R.A.H.

youston

I don't use it at all anymore, but I spent the last 4 years with my head all up XMPie's ass, so if there's anything you need, let me know. Maybe I'll be able to help. Maybe not.

t-pat

Quote from: youston on January 06, 2012, 03:32:39 PMI don't use it at all anymore, but I spent the last 4 years with my head all up XMPie's ass, so if there's anything you need, let me know. Maybe I'll be able to help. Maybe not.

do you use something else now and if so what and why?
vdp donkey

youston

Quote from: t-pat on January 06, 2012, 04:06:57 PM
Quote from: youston on January 06, 2012, 03:32:39 PMI don't use it at all anymore, but I spent the last 4 years with my head all up XMPie's ass, so if there's anything you need, let me know. Maybe I'll be able to help. Maybe not.

do you use something else now and if so what and why?

No, I don't do any vdp anymore, and I totally miss it.

We pretty much looked at every vdp package out there, and -- four years ago, at least -- XMPie smoked every one of them. It was more difficult to learn, and I was very, very far from being able to say I was able to use all of its capabilities, but it'll do some wicked awesome stuff.

frailer

Thought, shit, this stuff sounds 'deep'. I wonder, if I had to embark in this direction, would lynda.com have it on the list.    :undecided:  No.   :faint:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.