Work Orders

Started by Stiv, May 11, 2012, 12:59:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stiv

Anyone care to share? We need major revisions.

PM me for my addy, all responses will be kept confidential.  :ninja:

t-pat

Quote from: Stiv on May 11, 2012, 12:59:04 PMAnyone care to share? We need major revisions.

PM me for my addy, all responses will be kept confidential.  :ninja:

ours come from Monarch and suck. Can't help you there. I've designed manual ones plenty but don't care to revisit it!

Make sure you accommodate things that you use all the time, like for example, provisions for multiple lots on a job, multiple press forms, multiple bindery steps, etc.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

David

are you referring to job tickets (jackets or whatever)?
ours is in digital form and available on our network at any one of hundreds of workstations.

oh, it sucks ass and is always wrong, or not filled out.     this is news, right?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

t-pat

GIGO rules all. Especially on job tix.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Joe

We use ones I made in FileMaker Pro. We have to print out 5 copies for every job. I tried to tell them we could put FileMaker Pro on everyones workstation and save a bundle in paper. First, it seems computers are just a passing fancy and they don't want to commit to keeping them digital and second, I installed it on one of the owners computer and any time he wants to look at one he opens FMPro and prints it out. Then throws it in the trash. 30 minutes later he needs to look at something on the same work order. Open FMPro, print it, look at it, throw it in the trash. Repeat 30 times a day.

:banghead:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

got a guy here (sales) does the same thing with Excel files.
go figure
Livin' la Vida Loca

Stiv

I don't mean so much work orders or job tickets, ours are in FM Pro.

We have a prepress notes page with info for recording software, version, special notes, etc. You check off, or fill in, info as the job is worked on so that someone on another shift can pick up the job and continue without too much trouble.

One job could take up to 3-4 days to complete, while others take only few minutes, couple that with 4 versions of proofing. You can see the need to have a prepress info sheet inside the work order. Ours is dated and am looking for things I may not have brainstormed. Mainly because by brain stormed out of my skull and I'm left with nothing but jelly.

Let me know, I'm here all week. (I hope)  :wink:

Joe

We aslo keep job info sheets in an FMPro database.Unfortunately it gets used very little.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

If I had a second shift I'd just write it on the bag. Even when I worked with others I was the only one making an effort to keep things streamlined.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

beck

Quote from: Joe on May 11, 2012, 02:13:09 PMWe use ones I made in FileMaker Pro. We have to print out 5 copies for every job. I tried to tell them we could put FileMaker Pro on everyones workstation and save a bundle in paper. First, it seems computers are just a passing fancy and they don't want to commit to keeping them digital and second, I installed it on one of the owners computer and any time he wants to look at one he opens FMPro and prints it out. Then throws it in the trash. 30 minutes later he needs to look at something on the same work order. Open FMPro, print it, look at it, throw it in the trash. Repeat 30 times a day.

:banghead:
I got you beat.

My supervisor will print out the E-Mail, highlight or circle the stuff I'm supposed to read (even if it's the only sentence on the E-Mail), then also forward the E-Mail.

If I told him once, I've told him 50 times, just forward the E-Mail... I can read on screen.  Keeps on doing it.   :banghead:

beck
Nevertheless....beck has hit the proverbial nail on the head.
Joe

DigitalCrapShoveler

We just got done printing a shitload of them with major revisions. Ours were a little outdated. I'll send you a PDF.
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

Quote from: beck  on May 14, 2012, 08:56:32 AMMy supervisor will print out the E-Mail, highlight or circle the stuff I'm supposed to read (even if it's the only sentence on the E-Mail), then also forward the E-Mail.

If I told him once, I've told him 50 times, just forward the E-Mail... I can read on screen.  Keeps on doing it. 

Is your super my CSR?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

David

Quote from: beck  on May 14, 2012, 08:56:32 AMMy supervisor will print out the E-Mail, highlight or circle the stuff I'm supposed to read (even if it's the only sentence on the E-Mail), then also forward the E-Mail.
If I told him once, I've told him 50 times, just forward the E-Mail... I can read on screen.  Keeps on doing it. 

He should also call you on the phone to let you know that he is sending you an email, and then hand you the print out of the email, it's just more efficient
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

I worked with a CSR once who would reprint entire job tickets every time there was a change. Most of the job tickets were several sheets and she'd just throw away the unneeded sheets rather than only print the page with the change. I wanted to punch her.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david