Preps 7: vignettes not imposing properly

Started by DPSprint, May 28, 2017, 07:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DPSprint

DigiCorn

I've seen that before, but I just rasterized the files and moved on.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

OK this is what I found out...

your original PDF looks like this:

[attachimg=1 width=400]

And when you select the dots Pitstop identifies them as Device N:

[attachimg=2 width=400]
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Place the original into Preps and output new PDF and you get this:

[attachimg=3 width=400]

If I run the original into Prinergy and impose it and output a new PDF (Prinergy does use the Preps engine to impose) I get this:

[attachimg=4 width=400]

Joe

Looks bad when imposes in Preps and output PDF. Looks good when ran through Prinergy and output as PDF.

So the issue is definitely in Preps. The way I was able to fix the original PDF was to convert the Device N dots to grayscale. Then when I placed it into Preps and made a new PDF it looked fine.

DPSprint

'tis interesting that you could duplicate it.... and even more interesting the prinergy doesnt do it. I dont use prinergy so cant do that.
I guess ps the file through distiller fixes the issue but what does concern me is if I miss seeing it... and that is always possible.

I wonder if it is something I should ask the preps people about? do i really wanna go there... I have never had any contact with preps people.

DPSprint

Quote from: Farabomb on May 30, 2017, 07:04:42 AMI would like to know as well seeing as I output PDFs for production out of preps all the time and I've never seen this. I may have to start watching out.
yeap... I have only seen it twice now, but there may have been a few times I have missed it too!

Joe

Quote from: DPSprint on May 30, 2017, 06:47:26 PM'tis interesting that you could duplicate it.... and even more interesting the prinergy doesnt do it. I dont use prinergy so cant do that.
I guess ps the file through distiller fixes the issue but what does concern me is if I miss seeing it... and that is always possible.

I wonder if it is something I should ask the preps people about? do i really wanna go there... I have never had any contact with preps people.

One thing you might want to try is instead of saving a PDF straight out or Preps is to instead output a postscript file and distill it. Preps was originally built for postscript so it may work.

I am using Preps 7.5 and it did it the same as it did for you. Possibly might not doing it in Preps 8 but I don't have that yet.

If you have support for Preps I would definitely go there and see what they say.

mattbeals

This is the test 3.pdf. If you have an original send me a link.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

DPSprint

Quote from: Joe on May 30, 2017, 06:55:56 PM
Quote from: DPSprint on May 30, 2017, 06:47:26 PM'tis interesting that you could duplicate it.... and even more interesting the prinergy doesnt do it. I dont use prinergy so cant do that.

One thing you might want to try is instead of saving a PDF straight out or Preps is to instead output a postscript file and distill it. Preps was originally built for postscript so it may work.

I am using Preps 7.5 and it did it the same as it did for you. Possibly might not doing it in Preps 8 but I don't have that yet.

If you have support for Preps I would definitely go there and see what they say.
Ok tried the ps and distiller idea and still got same bad result.

It would be nice to know what the issue is so I am going to attempt to contact through Kodak partner place website... wish me luck!

DPSprint

Quote from: mattbeals on May 30, 2017, 07:39:58 PMThis is the test 3.pdf. If you have an original send me a link.
I can send a transfer link for the file (its too big for here), what email address?

Joe

Quote from: DPSprint on May 30, 2017, 08:06:58 PMOk tried the ps and distiller idea and still got same bad result.

It would be nice to know what the issue is so I am going to attempt to contact through Kodak partner place website... wish me luck!

Hmmmm....so the PDF has to be modified before placing it into Preps. Sounds like Preps isn't understanding the vignettes properly.

DPSprint

Quote from: Joe on May 30, 2017, 08:21:14 PMHmmmm....so the PDF has to be modified before placing it into Preps. Sounds like Preps isn't understanding the vignettes properly.
I am thinking a bit along those lines as well.
I wish i could find the earlier job we had this issue with but it was months ago and I thought it was just a dud client file causing the issue, hense I did no more about it when i found how to fix it... and it was much more obvious with that file... the vignette seemed to spread across the entire page, instead of being contained within its frame on the page and duplicated, hard to explain, I will try to locate it.

Joe

I would be interested in what Kodak says. Keep us updated.

DPSprint

Update:.... nothing from kodak, sent them a couple of messages but simply no response except from the automated messaging system
of course what would I expect huh?

Just curious, I see preps is up to V8 now... anyone using it?
We are on 7 and OSX 10.10.5 and I probably should upgrade OS as well