Kodak Nexpress Pitstop Actions

Started by DigitalCrapShoveler, October 10, 2014, 09:48:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Allow you to generate PDFs directly from Photoshop and Illustrator for Dimensional Clear without having to place everything in InDesign. It takes the voodoo of them or some shit.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

I'm sure Pitstop has all of the available tools for you to create them. Get cracking'! :P

DigitalCrapShoveler

Not even sure what they are or what exactly they do. Kodak sent PDF settings for sending jobs. THe instructions were to send them to all our customers. Fucker has no bleed settings. Thanks, Kodak... I can already see the guy who wrote these settings has no goddamn clue what he's doing. Fonts subset at 50%? Why?
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Well get this all straightened out in case we ever get a Nexpress here (it is too new for us but in 30 years we might get one). Then you can package all of that up in a nice neat package for me. Of course hopefully I'm not still doing prepress alive in 30 years

youston

Look, all you need to do is make sure that the color that's representing Dimensional Clear is named "NexPress Dry Ink raised clear" (or something like that ... it's been awhile) and that all the elements in that color are set to multiply. I used to output to the Nexpress all day from PS & Illy.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: youston on October 10, 2014, 11:09:42 AMLook, all you need to do is make sure that the color that's representing Dimensional Clear is named "NexPress Dry Ink raised clear" (or something like that ... it's been awhile) and that all the elements in that color are set to multiply. I used to output to the Nexpress all day from PS & Illy.

So, if it is initially set up in illustrator with multiply, and not set to multiply through Pitstop, it should work? I'm currently running tests, and all their documentation indicates that the PDF HAS to be generated out of InDesign, unless you run the PDFs through these certain actions with Pitstop.

Thanks for the info.
Member #285 - Civilian

youston

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on October 10, 2014, 11:43:02 AM
Quote from: youston on October 10, 2014, 11:09:42 AMLook, all you need to do is make sure that the color that's representing Dimensional Clear is named "NexPress Dry Ink raised clear" (or something like that ... it's been awhile) and that all the elements in that color are set to multiply. I used to output to the Nexpress all day from PS & Illy.
I'm currently running tests, and all their documentation indicates that the PDF HAS to be generated out of InDesign, unless you run the PDFs through these certain actions with Pitstop.

Thanks for the info.

Well, I haven't had to deal with this for a few years, so something could have changed, I suppose, but on its face, that sounds ridiculous. I've done hundreds of jobs with dimensional clear, and never once used PitStop with them. What, does InDesign lay some sort of golden blessing on top of the transparency, FFS?!?

Actually, we had a manual that we got with the NP that explained how to design and output for dimensional clear in Indy, Illy & Photoshop. Never once was PitStop mentioned. 

The only issue with the dimensional clear that I recall is that when loading XMPie output, some box had to be checked on the RIP on the front end of the NP to bring back the multiplication after XMPie flattened the crap out of the file. I can't for the life of me remember what that box was called, and the guy who ran the NP with me died last week. If I get some time over the weekend, I'll see if the Wiccan couple across the street has a Ouija board. Maybe then I can come up with some details. ;-)

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: youston on October 10, 2014, 12:24:49 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on October 10, 2014, 11:43:02 AM
I'm currently running tests, and all their documentation indicates that the PDF HAS to be generated out of InDesign, unless you run the PDFs through these certain actions with Pitstop.

Thanks for the info.

Well, I haven't had to deal with this for a few years, so something could have changed, I suppose, but on its face, that sounds ridiculous. I've done hundreds of jobs with dimensional clear, and never once used PitStop with them. What, does InDesign lay some sort of golden blessing on top of the transparency, FFS?!?

Actually, we had a manual that we got with the NP that explained how to design and output for dimensional clear in Indy, Illy & Photoshop. Never once was PitStop mentioned.

The only issue with the dimensional clear that I recall is that when loading XMPie output, some box had to be checked on the RIP on the front end of the NP to bring back the multiplication after XMPie flattened the crap out of the file. I can't for the life of me remember what that box was called, and the guy who ran the NP with me died last week. If I get some time over the weekend, I'll see if the Wiccan couple across the street has a Ouija board. Maybe then I can come up with some details. ;-)

I am questioning several things as far as the way they, (Kodak) wants you to set up files.

My number one bitch so far? "NexPress Dry Ink raised clear"... they couldn't have named that just a little less fucked up? I have a multitude of other complaints, especially the one where management informed me, that my department wouldn't have to worry about any of this. Guess what? My department has done nothing but dick with this bullshit since the NP came online.

Don't worry about the seance. You have told me what I need to know. It's just Kodak's way of fluffing the shit out of a simple task.

I appreciate the input, Youston.
Member #285 - Civilian

youston

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on October 10, 2014, 12:30:06 PMMy number one bitch so far? "NexPress Dry Ink raised clear"... they couldn't have named that just a little less fucked up?

YES!! THIS!! Exactly.

And if you DO insist on having such a long-winded name for it, why can't you at least be consistent with your capitalization?!?

Happy to help, and good luck with that NexPress. On the rare occasions that ours was working, it output BEAUTIFUL stuff. (That's what I did all those CD cases for my wife on.)

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: youston on October 10, 2014, 12:40:11 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on October 10, 2014, 12:30:06 PMMy number one bitch so far? "NexPress Dry Ink raised clear"... they couldn't have named that just a little less fucked up?

YES!! THIS!! Exactly.

And if you DO insist on having such a long-winded name for it, why can't you at least be consistent with your capitalization?!?

Happy to help, and good luck with that NexPress. On the rare occasions that ours was working, it output BEAUTIFUL stuff. (That's what I did all those CD cases for my wife on.)

Hahaha, that's pretty funny. We've had it in operation for 2 weeks, and the operator has had to put in 5 calls. 3 of which required a tech to come out. It is an incredible machine... when it's running.

I swear, I will find a way to rename that godforsaken color name. ;D

Those CD cases were nice. You're probably still getting handjobs for that.
Member #285 - Civilian

youston

I could be getting one right now, ya never know - oh - OH - OHHHHH!!!

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: youston on October 10, 2014, 02:43:42 PMI could be getting one right now, ya never know - oh - OH - OHHHHH!!!

Gross.

Just know, that I am high-fiving you in spirit... the "atta-boy" kind of high-five, not a "tagging me in" situation.
Member #285 - Civilian

youston

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on October 10, 2014, 02:49:07 PM
Quote from: youston on October 10, 2014, 02:43:42 PMI could be getting one right now, ya never know - oh - OH - OHHHHH!!!

Gross.

Just know, that I am high-fiving you in spirit... the "atta-boy" kind of high-five, not a "tagging me in" situation.
:lmao: