News:

Main Menu

Another question???

Started by determined, March 09, 2009, 08:18:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: determined on March 09, 2009, 10:52:15 AM
Quote from: Skryber on March 09, 2009, 10:28:06 AM
Quote from: determined on March 09, 2009, 10:26:39 AMThe OP was NOT from InD, just set in the rip in rampage....

So did Stiv's way work for you?

No, not really (the file did not trap under the foil, even though I tried ripping the foil as varnish and dieline). When you open the file, the trap STILL says its an overprint (probably the basis for a varnish). Still working on it, but don't understand quite why. If I rip without the foil, though, it will trap.

Can you change the desity and behavior of the varnish? Set it to 5.0 density, and transparent if you can... I know I can do it in Apogee X, but you could do it in InDesign as well.
Member #285 - Civilian

Skryber

You know, for the longest time, our Die line trap basis in pre-scan wouldn't overprint unless we manually set it to. It would knock-out. But it was fixed 2 upgrades ago. Which version did you say you had? I'm sure Stiv will come up with some fancy trapping. If you're in a hurry, just rip them separately I guess. But I don't have that problem here, so I don't think I can create this problem, I'll give it a shot. Can you hand trap what is under the foil?
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

determined

I'm attaching a reduced file size version of the file if there's any takers....I've tried ripping with it set to varnish, overprint and dieline to no avail. However, if you delete the foil in pitstop and re-rip, it will trap. You'll see what I mean.
Murphy must have been in printing....

determined

Quote from: Skryber on March 09, 2009, 11:02:44 AMYou know, for the longest time, our Die line trap basis in pre-scan wouldn't overprint unless we manually set it to. It would knock-out. But it was fixed 2 upgrades ago. Which version did you say you had? I'm sure Stiv will come up with some fancy trapping. If you're in a hurry, just rip them separately I guess. But I don't have that problem here, so I don't think I can create this problem, I'll give it a shot. Can you hand trap what is under the foil?

yeah, that's exactly what I had to do (obviously, quicker and easier if Rampage just did it itself)

Skryber

Quote from: determined on March 09, 2009, 11:17:28 AM
Quote from: Skryber on March 09, 2009, 11:02:44 AMYou know, for the longest time, our Die line trap basis in pre-scan wouldn't overprint unless we manually set it to. It would knock-out. But it was fixed 2 upgrades ago. Which version did you say you had? I'm sure Stiv will come up with some fancy trapping. If you're in a hurry, just rip them separately I guess. But I don't have that problem here, so I don't think I can create this problem, I'll give it a shot. Can you hand trap what is under the foil?

yeah, that's exactly what I had to do (obviously, quicker and easier if Rampage just did it itself)

You did what? Hand trapped or ripped separate?

Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

determined

Quote from: Skryber on March 09, 2009, 11:21:49 AM
Quote from: determined on March 09, 2009, 11:17:28 AM

Hand trapped

You did what? Hand trapped or ripped separate?

determined

oooo, I really screwed that up....I hand trapped the file (which was alot of fun because I didn't know that nifty trick that Stiv just told me about control apple clicking to get beneath layers and everytime I clicked on anything, I got the gold foil box.

Stiv

Quote from: determined on March 09, 2009, 11:33:50 AMoooo, I really screwed that up....I hand trapped the file (which was alot of fun because I didn't know that nifty trick that Stiv just told me about control apple clicking to get beneath layers and everytime I clicked on anything, I got the gold foil box.
Since you can only select one object at a time clicking through layers, I will set the spot to overprint and then do not print. Send it back into trap edit and fix the traps, then re-queue  the page turning on the spot color this time.
So it is RIP page, set spot to overprint in trap column and do not print. RIP page, Edit traps, RIP page, re-queue back through single page RIP and turn on the spot this time.
I use this technique when I have a shitload of trap edits to make.

determined

Quote from: Stiv on March 09, 2009, 12:26:19 PM
Quote from: determined on March 09, 2009, 11:33:50 AMoooo, I really screwed that up....I hand trapped the file (which was alot of fun because I didn't know that nifty trick that Stiv just told me about control apple clicking to get beneath layers and everytime I clicked on anything, I got the gold foil box.
Since you can only select one object at a time clicking through layers, I will set the spot to overprint and then do not print. Send it back into trap edit and fix the traps, then re-queue  the page turning on the spot color this time.
So it is RIP page, set spot to overprint in trap column and do not print. RIP page, Edit traps, RIP page, re-queue back through single page RIP and turn on the spot this time.
I use this technique when I have a shitload of trap edits to make.

But when you requeue (re-rip) doesn't it re-trap also? Then it would do the same thing with not trapping under the foil.

determined

Oh and when I hand trapped it, I used the find selection and selected by color....it was fairly quick and simple (only I had to do it 5x for 5 different lots)

determined

I'll be damned, that actually worked. Ok, so now can you explain to me why when you re-rip it through the single page queue, it keeps the traps from before (even though it's set to go through the trap again?) I would think that it would revert back to not trapping under the foil since it doesn't do that when you rip it OP originally. Again, I think logic has no place here.

Stiv

Quote from: determined on March 09, 2009, 12:47:08 PMI'll be damned, that actually worked. Ok, so now can you explain to me why when you re-rip it through the single page queue, it keeps the traps from before (even though it's set to go through the trap again?) I would think that it would revert back to not trapping under the foil since it doesn't do that when you rip it OP originally. Again, I think logic has no place here.

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you, just when I'm starting to like you.  :wink:

johnny_jay

I used trap engine and it worked for me without editing the trap. I set the foil as a varnish.
Kodak Prinergy and InSite
Preps
Epson P7000 driven by Fiery XF
Screen 16000N
Screen R36000ZX
3 web presses, 1 sheetfed press
G7 Expert

determined

maybe because you're using 11? I'm still at 10.6   :angry:

johnny_jay

That is probably it, 11 had some nice upgrades for trap engine.
Kodak Prinergy and InSite
Preps
Epson P7000 driven by Fiery XF
Screen 16000N
Screen R36000ZX
3 web presses, 1 sheetfed press
G7 Expert