Bootable clone of Windows machine - how?

Started by DCurry, July 22, 2009, 09:12:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCurry

What would be the best (and cheapest) way for me to make a bootable clone of an existing Windows machine?

The reason I'm thinking about it is I live in fear of the machine that drives our Epson dying again. The ORIS software is really a PITA to set up, and it has been so long since we had to do it last that I wouldn't even remember what to do. The guy who originally set it up is also not the most reliable when it comes to recollection of knowledge. I'd like to clone the whole thing to a bootable external drive so if it dies, I can simply boot from the external and I'd be up and running again immediately.

It is running Windows 2000 Advanced Server.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

PrepressCrapFixer

I don't know if it's the same but you could look at making a Ghost image of the entire system.  Then at least if you need to reinstall due to a system failure you can install from the ghost and all of your setup is done already.  No need to try to remember how it is supposed to be done.
macOSX 12.7 Monterey • Prinergy 10 • Adobe Creative Cloud 2022 • Q800 Trendsetter w/ MCU • Epson Sure Color P7000

PrepressCrapFixer

macOSX 12.7 Monterey • Prinergy 10 • Adobe Creative Cloud 2022 • Q800 Trendsetter w/ MCU • Epson Sure Color P7000

DCurry

Only problem there is I am trying to do it on the cheap! I found something called XXCLONE (http://www.xxclone.com/index.htm) that looks like it might do the job. Just wondering what others might be doing.

Thanks!

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

delooch

mattbeals

Why not just add another drive and create a mirror software RAID?
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

DCurry

Quote from: mattbeals on July 22, 2009, 02:39:54 PMWhy not just add another drive and create a mirror software RAID?

Sounds like a great idea if I knew how to do it!

mattbeals

Can you slap in a new hard drive into an empty drive bay, is there room for it?
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

DCurry

Quote from: mattbeals on July 22, 2009, 02:54:57 PMCan you slap in a new hard drive into an empty drive bay, is there room for it?

Sure.

Skryber

Quote from: DCurry on July 22, 2009, 02:53:48 PM
Quote from: mattbeals on July 22, 2009, 02:39:54 PMWhy not just add another drive and create a mirror software RAID?

Sounds like a great idea if I knew how to do it!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/132877/how_to_set_up_raid_on_your_pc.html

I had a site that explains it better, but I can't locate it now.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

DCurry

Chilbear

While you are inside the box Dan, think about Mirroring all the drives. My Server, also running 2000, has a mirror of the C drive, the accounting Drive and has a RAID 5 setup.

mattbeals

Chili, are you talking about mirroring the RAID5 array? I don't think that Dan is likely to have enough bays free for that. Depending on how busy the accounting volume is a hardware mirror or a striped mirror is the the best setup for high I/O applications.
Matt Beals

Chilbear

No I have a software mirror on my C Drive, a hardware mirror on my accounting drive and it also houses my RAID 5. Very crowded box - 10 hard drives, two fans and double power supply for redundancy.

Lovebee06

Can you explain briefly on what does a bootable clone of Windows machine is? I am looking forward for your next post.