.DS_Store files, Mac to Win

Started by gnubler, March 14, 2011, 11:14:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

I get these "hidden" files when I copy files from Mac to Windows. It's getting annoying because they display in one of the windows in my Creo RIP even though Windows folder options is set to hide files like this.

Is there any way to make this not happen?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote.DS_Store (Desktop Services Store)[1] is a hidden file created by Apple Inc.'s Mac OS X operating system to store custom attributes of a folder such as the position of icons or the choice of a background image.

The only way to not get them is to not use a Mac to copy the files there. So basically "No".
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigiCorn

Quote from: gnubler on March 14, 2011, 11:36:11 AMDumb.
I hate it too. Mainly because when uploading fonts to Printlinqs, the .ds file throws their server into a tizzy and it can't display any previously uploaded fonts. Now I have to turn on hidden files, delete the .ds, and then .zip before upload. I hate extra steps.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

mattbeals

Stop using SMB mounts... Turn on Services For Macintosh and be done with the problem...
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

DigiCorn

I have services for mac active on my server. I have to use smb mounts for Rampage - have tried with afp and it just won't work; even after remapping the drive location. Plus, I have mac font issues on the server when mounting with afp.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

Quote from: mattbeals on March 14, 2011, 01:00:51 PMStop using SMB mounts... Turn on Services For Macintosh and be done with the problem...

I don't want to mess with it. I didn't set up the network here and I'd probably break something if I started screwing with it.

Captain_Type

You can turn off the writing of those files on each Mac account, if it's OS X.

http://krypted.com/mac-os-x/no-more-ds_store-files/

Third paragraph down, the "Do not write" thing.

Esko Automation Engine 23
ArtPro+ 23
Javelin Imagesetter

Captain_Type

Or, if you FTP to it, that works as well.
Esko Automation Engine 23
ArtPro+ 23
Javelin Imagesetter

gnubler

Thx Cap'n, I'll read that later today.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Captain_Type on March 17, 2011, 07:34:46 AMYou can turn off the writing of those files on each Mac account, if it's OS X.

http://krypted.com/mac-os-x/no-more-ds_store-files/

Third paragraph down, the "Do not write" thing.
I've been trying this out. I don't just get .DS_Store files... I get ._ everything. So here's the $64,000 dollar question: how do you write a script in terminal to erase a file name that has a space in it? i.e. "._Customer Originals"? Using a space, quotes or % doesn't work.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

That's not a space. It's an underscore.

DigiCorn

there's a space between Customer and Originals... the terminal command won't recognize it
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Put the file name within quotes like you did in the post above.

Joe

Ahhh...I see you tried quotes. That should work. Or try single quotes.  '______'