HP and DELL servers

Started by frailer, November 21, 2012, 10:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Have an HP ML-350 with a 2nd 4 disk RAID5 for data files on XMF. About 6 years in. Have been asked to look at replacement, as it's 'getting on a bit'. We have a '13/5' maintenance plan which covers us pretty well; runs 13 hrs/day, Mon/Fri., which suits. About $850 p.a. Awaiting a quote from Fujifilm Graphics for one supplied by them. They now use DELL, not HP.
Fujifilm also have to cover the issue of 64 bit. In the recent past they've had to use a low-spec slave PC to feed data to the 'setter. Not a big deal, as I have a new/unused one here. It's also possible that they have a better connection method now.
Advantage of doing a Fuji DELL would be that they would support the whole thing for the 1st year, including the box, and any connectivity issues. Minus will be they will load the price up quite a bit, I think.
Anyone had a recent server replacement 'experience'? Did it have a happy ending? Does anyone prefer DELLs/HPs over one or the other?

.... oh, and i don't know what the graph on the whiteboard in the back-room at HP would show, but I'd imagine the possibility probability of a major problem would be on a steeply rising (non-linear) curve.   :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Dell servers are pretty darn good. That is what Kodak uses for Prinergy. When we got Prinergy 3 years ago we got two Dell PowerEdge 2900's. Our Primary server is running Windows 2008 Server 64-bit and it has 20 gb of RAM. The other one is our Kodak Insite Server and it is running 32-bit Windows 2003 Server with 4 gb of RAM. We've not had one issue with them running 24/7 since July 2009. They are only off if there is a power outage. They ran about $18,500 a piece back in 2009.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Just to add...before we got rid of our printers we were running two HP Proliant servers with Windows 2003 32-bit server. Never had any issues with them either and I have no idea how much they cost.

Joe

And clarification #2...when you buy Prinergy from Kodak you have no choice other than Dell servers and you have to buy them through Kodak. You can't buy your own which would make them significantly cheaper. Probably about half of that $18,500 price tag per server we had to pay.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on November 21, 2012, 10:46:02 PMAnd clarification #2...when you buy Prinergy from Kodak you have no choice other than Dell servers and you have to buy them through Kodak. You can't buy your own which would make them significantly cheaper. Probably about half of that $18,500 price tag per server we had to pay.

Thanks Joe, good info., as I was a bit sceptical about the DELLs.  Here, I'd like to think that would constitute restrictive trading practice under the Trade Practices Act. Doesn't seem right that they can stipulate that when they are available on the open market.   :undecided:  I doubt a vendor here would try that on, but I could be wrong.

...then again, I'd also like to think that Fujifilm would pre-load stuff at base if they were supplying the boxes. I could see a lot of time being spent loading stuff onto boxes got from another party.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

Kodak installs the OS and the Prinergy workflow and by making you buy it from them they are in control of the hardware inside the server to assure them that it is hardware that works with Prinergy. You can buy your own hardware if you really want to but they will not give support for the hardware or Prinergy if you roll your own hardware. I'm sure it's the same there too for Prinergy users.

frailer

OK, I can see how they would get around it that way. "You're on your own... have fun using your unsupported software". Nice.

David

my new server is a bad ass Dell (17 TB w 16gb Ram)
...and, all the Kodak stuff run off Dells like Joe's.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

My personal experience is that Dell is an assortment of parts made by the lowest bidder. I have found HP to be the opposite.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

I've had low end computers from both and the old saying is true, "you get what you pay for".

Dell servers are rock solid and I've also not had any problems with HP servers. I have owned both low end Dell and HP pc's/laptops that were crap.

DigiCorn

Don't get me started on Dell laptops. I have replaced HDs on every one of the 3 we've owned. One just outright died and couldn't be resurrected. One was a media laptop, and the fan was so ridiculously loud it overshadowed any "increase" in speaker performance.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway