16-up imposition

Started by joshGBP, June 26, 2009, 10:15:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tapdn

I came to web from a sheetfed commercial shop and the first time I saw that monster web running wide open I was hooked big time.
Three webs heatset 24 page sigs come off folded with a lip get stacked on carts and ready to load into pockets (think we have nine)-  where the Machine takes over, three blade trim, stitched, polybagged, mail labeled (sorted by area) and off they go.

wot the hell has dot gain got to do with anything, boy! :laugh:
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on June 26, 2009, 01:10:32 PMWhat kinda drugs are you on? I did Web for over 3 years, it was the most bullshit in/bullshit out job I ever worked. Dot Gain alone caused me to stroke out almost every night!

QuoteGod grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

LEARN IT! It's quite helpful in this business
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

tapdn

I must have said that prayer a million times Joe- saved my sanity and what little serenity I got. :wink:
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
~Farabomb

Ear

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on June 26, 2009, 01:10:32 PMWhat kinda drugs are you on? I did Web for over 3 years, it was the most bullshit in/bullshit out job I ever worked. Dot Gain alone caused me to stroke out almost every night!

Drugs? All the good kinds, Oregon, yo.  :cool:

Sounds like you ONLY worked crappy news web. We have one and you're right about gain and all the rest. But you know, there are nice web presses out there that have automatic registration, Sep3 auto color control and can run 200+ line screens. Hell, our Hantscho Heatset is getting 20% or better gain. It does look really close to sheetfed.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigitalCrapShoveler

It was a long time ago. I am sure Web has progressed since then, but I am too old now to switch over. I constantly hear about the crap you guys get, and the time frame in which to get them done, and I like my cozy little sheet fed job where my opinion matters on quality issues and... I am talking a lot of shit right now... :laugh: My opinion matters about as much as a retard at a Mensa Meeting. I'll do anything if the price is right.
Member #285 - Civilian

Ear

You're right about the time frame. The pace is insane and incredible at some points of the month. Those web presses are hungry. I can put out well over 100 plates, between all 4 presses and turn around and do it again the next day and bam, they're caught up again.  :sad:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigitalCrapShoveler

Hahahahaha, yeah I hear that. I am extremely anal about jobs, and remembering back on my web days, I couldn't be. Garbage in Garbage out mentality. Have to have it, yes?
Member #285 - Civilian

tapdn

Can be frustrating and stressful trying to keep presses supplied with plates for sure. We have a dual system- two rips, two platesetters, two processors usually feed even numbered into one and odd into the other. Work your arse off getting a 24 page run plated for a job with 7 runs and soon as you do there is the press monkey taking the plates away and asking when the next run will be ready!!
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
~Youston
~Farabomb

Ear

Yes. No time for mistakes, the designer messes something up, screw it, they have next month to get it right.  :laugh:

The hard part is, we do nice work too, so I have to change gears. Keeps it interesting tho.

DigitalCrapShoveler

I'll bet. The impo differences alone would make my head hurt.
Member #285 - Civilian