175 Line screen & stocastic

Started by jack, March 01, 2011, 02:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jack

Quote from: david on March 01, 2011, 04:13:13 PM20 micron is the normal or average size.

Stochastic and Conventional screening really won't look the same due to the press gain you get on stochastic, which is a little more than conventional screening.  We usually run a little stronger curve on sto just for that reason.

The round dot of 175 has a lot of paper white showing through, whereas sto covers a little more surface area so you don't get a lot of paper showing through.

And the paper will have an effect on it as well. If it's uncoated, expect a lot more gain than on coated. Some times sto will look "grainy", depending on the screen percentage.

And the press, we run newer Heidelberg presses (XL105s, SM102s) here and have good luck with stochastic, older presses have to be "babied" to get them to print clean.

Thank you, explains it well : )

frailer

Quote from: jack on March 01, 2011, 04:33:32 PM
Quote from: frailer on March 01, 2011, 04:13:15 PM
Quote from: jack on March 01, 2011, 02:09:59 PMMorning, just wondering if any one can enlighten me, my knowledge is only limited using stocastic. We generally run jobs with a 175 line screen, but we recently bought a company that uses a lot of stocastic screens for jobs. Not a problem, I generally understand the difference and how it works but....
Last week I had a moment, and I accidently ran a normal job through the stocastic rip, the reverse of the BC was 50% cyan, dickhead printers and production ran on despite 'having trouble holding open the dot'  :rolleyes: ...now my question is, despite my mistake, should a 50% stocastic screen, resemble a traditioal 50% line screen, or will it always look different?

Sums it up. Had they told you....new plates in 15 minutes, right?   :rolleyes:

2 min :death:

:laugh:      Prepress.  No matter where you are in the world... Toronto, Salem, Melbourne, Houston, London... same old shit.   :tonofbricks:   
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

jack

Have now found out that the stole the stocastic curve from the prepress that used to run this bought out companies plates, so it only suits their stuff. We have no stocastic curve for NORMAL work, despite the fact that they sell it to people....and they didn't bother to tell us :banghead: