(newbie alert) are these separations OK?

Started by MikeInMass, April 25, 2012, 10:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StudioMonkey

Quote from: MikeInMass on April 25, 2012, 10:55:09 PMWhat will happen if I print the file with the red text as an overprint rather than knocked out?

When you set something to overprint, it becomes transparent.  If its red on top of green, it will look brown.  If its white on top of anything, it disappears.

I've opened your PDF in Illustrator and I'm just toggling the 'Oveprint Preview' menu item.  Acrobat Pro lets you do the same thing, or place the PDF in InDesign and select 'Overprint Preview' to see the effect.

The red text 'Transcarpathia' is not the only thing set to overprint.  All the blue strokes - rivers, lake outlines, gridlines are set to overprint, as are the river names and the grey National Boundaries.

With the rivers, some look blue because they have a fill that knocks out, the rest look dark green (as do river names).  The National Boundaries go from a light grey to a dark green.

With a cmyk job any colours on top of colour, you don't need to worry about trapping.  Set everything to knockout.  With black on top of colours, if its thin its better to overprint.  With a thick line or an area of solid black, it should knock out (and it should have say 20%cyan in it or it will look grey when printed).

Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Greg_Firestone

Quote from: MikeInMass on April 25, 2012, 10:55:09 PMYour site looks interesting, but unfortunately I tried uploading the file twice and both times got "There was a problem uploading the job. Please try again or contact support."

That's not good. I think it's related to our Flash client accepting a >200mb file. I'll have one of my developers look into it. In the meantime, I can send you the file with the logs if you have an FTP account or a drop box. It's about a 26mb zip with everything.

Greg

p.s. We'll set all the CMY colors to knockout with the exception of small black text, lines, and fills.

MikeInMass

Greg_Firestone

Greg_Firestone

Quote from: Greg_Firestone on April 26, 2012, 07:49:52 AMThat's not good. I think it's related to our Flash client accepting a >200mb file. I'll have one of my developers look into it.

Had a setting limiting uploads to 175mb. We just bumped it up to 500mb. Should work now if you have any other large files.

Greg

beermonster

hope you're getting a royalty advertising space and finders fee there Joe...... :dev2:
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

frailer

Quote from: beermonster on May 16, 2012, 06:18:02 AMhope you're getting a royalty advertising space and finders fee there Joe...... :dev2:

I think it's Midnight Cowboy situation.    :cheesy:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

youston

Quote from: frailer on May 16, 2012, 06:08:27 PM
Quote from: beermonster on May 16, 2012, 06:18:02 AMhope you're getting a royalty advertising space and finders fee there Joe...... :dev2:

I think it's Midnight Cowboy situation.    :cheesy:

Ewwwww ... Joe, are you gonna take that?

Joe

I'm not even sure what is being discussed.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

youston

Quote from: Joe on May 16, 2012, 06:31:09 PMI'm not even sure what is being discussed.

Something about pitching and catching, I think.

frailer

Quote from: youston on May 16, 2012, 06:42:03 PM
Quote from: Joe on May 16, 2012, 06:31:09 PMI'm not even sure what is being discussed.

There was confusion about who was paying whom. 
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on May 16, 2012, 07:09:29 PM
Quote from: youston on May 16, 2012, 06:42:03 PM

There was confusion about who was paying whom.

That leaves me out. No one pays me anything! :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.