Strange email from "Adobe"

Started by AaronH, July 17, 2018, 02:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AaronH

Have you guys seen this one? the email address looks like an actual adobe address, however the typos/grammatical errors have be concerned. I'm also concerned how they got the names and email addresses of our two accounts.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

Possum

That looks pretty legit to me. Keep in mind, though, that Adobe was hacked a few years ago, and a lot of info made vulnerable. You're right to be cautious. You might try contacting Adobe through other means, like a known legit e-mail address or phone number, and asking if this guy really works for them.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

AaronH

Good idea Possum. I'll see who I can get in touch with.

Thanks!

Possum

No problem. I'm so suspicious of stuff like this myself. I can't tell you how many phishing e-mails I've turned in to the real companies. If it's fake, they'll want to know about it.

AaronH

Alright, so I just got off of a chat with Adobe. It is a legitimate email.

Joe

Yeah his written word sounds exactly like the voice of our guy too. They are trying to get you to go to the team accounts from the individual accounts. They are right in that it is easier to manage but it damn sure isn't cheaper. They just raised the team account price to $79.99 per month per user. Luckily we had just signed a 3 year deal with them last year so we are still getting our 10% off of the old price of $69.99 per user per month for the next two years. By the time that rolls around I would like to be retired.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

AaronH

$79.99 is insane. Man I miss non-subscription based software.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on July 17, 2018, 03:47:49 PMYeah his written word sounds exactly like the voice of our guy too. They are trying to get you to go to the team accounts from the individual accounts. They are right in that it is easier to manage but it damn sure isn't cheaper. They just raised the team account price to $79.99 per month per user. Luckily we had just signed a 3 year deal with them last year so we are still getting our 10% off of the old price of $69.99 per user per month for the next two years. By the time that rolls around I would like to be retired.

Dream on...  :sad:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

frailer

Quote from: AaronH on July 17, 2018, 03:54:25 PM$79.99 is insane. Man I miss non-subscription based software.

I miss bits of the olden days; but I don't miss font issues, (well, the old-style ones), PostScript errors, trapping issues, transparency flattening issues.
Or maybe it's just that I'm old and getting lazy.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

mc hristel

A valid argument could probably be made that this actually is a phishing scam. Just because it came from Adobe's marketing or account management people or whatever, rather than a bunch of crooks out to take all your money...    :o  Hmm...

Joe

Quote from: mc hristel on July 17, 2018, 05:00:34 PMA valid argument could probably be made that this actually is a phishing scam. Just because it came from Adobe's marketing or account management people or whatever, rather than a bunch of crooks out to take all your money...    :o  Hmm...

Good point... :rotf:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Quote from: mc hristel on July 17, 2018, 05:00:34 PMA valid argument could probably be made that this actually is a phishing scam. Just because it came from Adobe's marketing or account management people or whatever, rather than a bunch of crooks out to take all your money...    :o  Hmm...

'Convergence'.

Possum

You telling me Adobe's not a bunch of crooks out to take all your money?

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

AaronH

Yeah once I confirmed it through talking to Adobe through a chat on their site. Turns out that we're violating their Terms of Service by using licenses intended for freelancers.  :facepalm: So yeah. Really fun.