InDesign Bloatware

Started by scottrsimons, May 24, 2019, 06:20:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottrsimons

Has anyone figured out a way to disable any of InDesign's bloat? What I'm thinking about is some or all of the extra creative cloud extras that run all the, time, that I don't want. Trying to think of ways to speed this massive turd up. Kinda of slim it down to where it only does typesetting functions, and not everything under the sun. Or at least disable some palettes from even opening in the beginning.  I mean why do we need 5 different ways to get to the same thing?
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

Joe

The only way I know to speed it up is a faster CPU, more RAM and an SSD. The new iMac Pro with all the extras should do the trick. Only about $15K once you upgrade all of those options to the max. Just submit a request and let us know how that goes. :sarcasm:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

delooch

the ssd upgrade is probably the most bang for your buck if you are still running spindle drives..

i dont think disabling panels helps performance.. but you can disable the preflight tool, its constantly running in the background. (window > output > Preflight, turn it off)

scottrsimons

I'm hoping someone has found a way to turn off the added cloud features. As I don't mind it checking with Adobe about licensing, but I don't really want any of the other. And then there is all the other stuff I will never use like ePub. I just remember back in the day you could get Indesign Standard or Ultimate or some other version depending on what you were doing. Now you get everything, which is nice and all, but I would like the ability to turn things off I don't want.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

Joe

Quote from: delooch on May 24, 2019, 09:39:00 AM
the ssd upgrade is probably the most bang for your buck if you are still running spindle drives..

i dont think disabling panels helps performance.. but you can disable the preflight tool, its constantly running in the background. (window > output > Preflight, turn it off)

The CPU makes a pretty big difference but you can only upgrade it by getting a new Mac. When we bought the last round of iMacs we went from an i5 to an i7 cpu and the difference was very noticeable. Plus we went from a traditional HD to the Fusion drive. Right now on my iMac it takes 10 seconds from clicking the icon in the toolbar to where InDesign is fully loaded and ready to roll. With our previous iMac it was about 45 seconds before it was loaded and ready to go.

Joe

Quote from: scottrsimons on May 24, 2019, 09:56:26 AM
I'm hoping someone has found a way to turn off the added cloud features. As I don't mind it checking with Adobe about licensing, but I don't really want any of the other. And then there is all the other stuff I will never use like ePub. I just remember back in the day you could get Indesign Standard or Ultimate or some other version depending on what you were doing. Now you get everything, which is nice and all, but I would like the ability to turn things off I don't want.

For the online ePub check this box in your prefs.

Joe

You can also turn off Creative Cloud Sync and the Adobe Fonts if you don't use them in your Creative Cloud app preferences.

You can also set your InDesign Display preference to Fast or Typical if you have it set to High Quality.

You might also try clearing out your InDesign preferences which can cause slowdowns if they have somehow become corrupted. Shut InDesign down. Hold down SHIFT+CONTROL+OPTION+COMMAND and start Indy and say yes when it asks if you really want to delete the Indy prefs.

Also it can slow down the Adobe apps if you have a ton of fonts open on your system. Pare them back to a minimum if you can.

Also boot into recovery and have Disk Utility repair your hard drive if it finds any errors.

Run the Onyx maintenance utilities to do all of this: