The total ink coverage thread

Started by Laurens, February 14, 2008, 02:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

And... you can see actual color display of excessive inks. Sort of the way you view out of gamut images in PS.
Member #285 - Civilian

FRENCH PDF

Hello everyone,

nice to meet you since French coast.

I read with interest you're differents answers.
And we have exactly the same problems every days.

Thats why i create a workflow with a device link profile software.

even if the formation and information are the two udders of the professional.

Kinds regards.

EyeTech

Am I alone in thinking wtf?  :shocked: (however my French is crap)

But welcome to the forum anyway  :grin:
'I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out'" Bill Hicks

Self-indulgent Flickr page

Sparky

Quote from: Laurens on February 14, 2008, 02:56:54 PMI am working on a page about total ink coverage.

I know that using the 'Registration' color as well as incorrect separation settings are causes for exceeding TIC but are there any other errors that frequently appear in design?

Next to that I am curious about easy and/or cheap ways of checking TIC in prepress. Some workflows or trapping solutions allow you to specify a threshold value. The system will visually indicate which areas exceed this value. Are there any other solutions?

Broad topic Laurens, remember you need to consider the mentality of designers (or lack there of) in that most of them don't even know what ink coverage is let alone "Total Ink Coverage" (or percentage, correctly put) in my years I have been taught that there are many different percentages for various papers and conditions, but what I find is that the average mean coverage is around 280% to 300% (where Registration = 100Y+100M+100C+100K), again allowing for paper (coated or uncoated), (Heavy or Light), dot gain on different presses, blanket pressure, ink tack, etc., etc. There are so many different variables that I can't see how anyone could say or recommend a definite "standard" for this issue.

I feel the best way to determine "Total Ink Coverage" is to TEST! :shocked:  and test again to see what conditions works bets for the individual.

I run a Presstek 5334DI press (4/color offset press) and our shop has determined that a density or dot percentage of no more that 320% works best for shadow detail and 3/4 tone definition on this press. Since our "dot gain" on coated stock is minimal I've seen some very nice results off this press.

"No well engineered plan survives contact with reality"

Pointyhat

Quote from: FRENCH PDF on April 01, 2008, 04:03:38 AMHello everyone,

nice to meet you since French coast.

I read with interest you're differents answers.
And we have exactly the same problems every days.

Thats why i create a workflow with a device link profile software.

even if the formation and information are the two udders of the professional.

Kinds regards.

Me thinks Quebec. They're taught phonetically. Unfortunately I'd welcome the boy... But Quebec:Printing as Cheney:NAZI

Lukas

I been trying this discussion in another forum, but recieved a lot of insults and get told I am illogical and unproffesional :cry:
I felt like I was the only one who could possibly imagine that TIC/TAC would be a problem and that it was not fool proof to work in CMYK.
this was at the http://www.layersmagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=13627#post13627 thread (hope it is ok to link to other site, some times it is good to know how others are handling the same kind of questions)

I did also request as also was suggested a better preflight of TIC/TAC in PS.

Have to go for now but hope to see you all in this forum.

Lukas

Looks like I found a forum I will visit in future. And seems I owe laurens 2 beers as we met in Drupa.

(and the smileys are better here  :laugh:)

Joe

Welcome Lukas, most of us here are illogical and unprofessional too so you'll fit right in.

I should get him (Laurens) a 6 pack for his recruiting efforts. :ninja:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.