Fonts in PDFs

Started by Possum, April 03, 2008, 01:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Possum

Assuming that no changes will be made after you get a PDF (yeah, I know, but just bear with me), do you prefer fonts embedded or outlined? Do you notice any difference between the two methods with small type?
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

ninjaPB_43

yes.  outlined fonts do have their drawbacks..    see thread for more info..
Quote from: Laurens on December 08, 2007, 10:06:52 AMGreat trick!

I linked to it on my site but think this thread isn't complete without mentioning the disadvantages of outlining fonts: you lose hinting support and small type 'fattens up' a bit.
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Joe

Outlined so it's less trouble for me. Screw how it looks!
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Possum

Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on April 03, 2008, 01:16:13 PMyes.  outlined fonts do have their drawbacks..    see thread for more info..
Quote from: Laurens on December 08, 2007, 10:06:52 AMGreat trick!

I linked to it on my site but think this thread isn't complete without mentioning the disadvantages of outlining fonts: you lose hinting support and small type 'fattens up' a bit.

Thanks a bunch, ninjaPB_43, I'm gonna check it out!
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Sparky

embedded, If I don't have the font, I'll severely beat the client around head and neck with a baseball bat until I get the fonts sent to me.

Even if it means spending hours over the phone trying to "talk" the Secretary/Graphic Designer through "finding, copying, and attaching to an e-mail", and keeping them on the phone until I successfully get them on my end and have them in my system.
"No well engineered plan survives contact with reality"

David

I prefer embedded.
Live text makes for a smaller file. All the points in the paths of the outlined copy will make it larger, especially if you got several hundred pages.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

beermonster

i prefer embedded, and will resort to outlines if there's problems
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

ninjaPB_43

prefer embedded just like everyone else for all the same reasons..   since I didnt say in post above.
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Pointyhat

Embedded, alot of times I have to tear the pdf apart and rebuild it so I need the text live.

born2print

Ditto, embedded, also need live type for 2-3 rounds of client type alts :rolleyes:
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

delooch

embedded is always best when i receive files, however when i outsource jobs i outline everything just so theres no surprises..

DigitalCrapShoveler

I prefer embedded. Once in awhile when I get those jobs that I can't fix in PitStop, I resort to Illustrator. If the fonts are subset, I can get some pretty bizarre results upon conversion. However, if the fonts are embedded, the file is usually gold. It depends on what native app was used in the PDFs conception and of course the font. "Stable" fonts obviously produce better results, while downloaded custom fonts can do the opposite.
Member #285 - Civilian

jezza

Generally. subsetting will add to the complexity of the postscript that the pdf will be generated from, data is read and then removed (such as hinting etc) during the creation process however that may be. Admittedly including the whole font will give you more data, hence a slightly larger file size, but it is complete data that hasn't been manipulated in a way that you have little or no control over.

That's my understanding of how it works. I've no doubt that someone will correct me if I'm wrong and I would welcome it
one sick prepress mofo

Joe

I've been communicating with Nexus support for the last week over font issues. They are telling me that subset fonts should work okay most of the time unless they are True Type or Composite fonts, in which case it would be better if they were fully embedded. Who wants to volunteer to teach my customers the difference between the different types of fonts and how to embed them once they learn that? :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

jezza

That's clinched it for me then Joe. Embed.
one sick prepress mofo