Has anyone ever...

Started by elmo3, April 03, 2008, 07:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmo3

Re this post:

https://www.b4print.com/forums/index.php?topic=1386.msg20142#msg20142

has anyone ever, in the middle of one of those days/one of those projects, gone into a good part of the file and messed with it a little, not enough to be noticed in the heat of the battle but enough to cause anguish after 20,000 have been printed?

"But we never touched THAT page!  That must be how you gave it to us!"  Signed proof?  Where?

Sometimes the mind wanders...

Joe

No I haven't but...I have thought about it. :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Sparky

In the early days, of the "before time" I would scribe somewhat lewd words and saying on a single dot when I would do spotting on the final films we sent out to printers. (remember folks 35 years ago 133 -150 lpi was high quality then) kinda like the guy who carved George Washington's portrait on a grain of rice :shocked:

Today I couldn't even find the damn dot let alone "stipple" it :embarrassed:

"No well engineered plan survives contact with reality"

agent_orange

It's like picking a steak off the floor and still plating it in a restaurant. It's so taboo and we've all wanted to do it at times but not many people actually have. You'd think the fear that it could happen would make people nicer. You know, "don't piss off the guy that handles your food/printing".

Gutnbg

confession time: in the days when I worked at a newspaper i used to doctor the news for my own amusement with an opaque brush, show the results sometimes for a laugh, then fix it.

One i remember was an article where a man shot his estranged wife....which, with a couple of quick dabs, became his "strange" wife.
Sounds almost like he had a good reason, doesn't it?  :evil:

I quit that stuff about the time I went home and couldn't remember if something had been returned to its original state.....
Too weeks ago i cuddent even spel PRINTOR an now i are one

Pointyhat

papa v2.0

when i worked in the newspaper we used to have pictures placed on the page but would have to wait for a caption. we used to write our own, while we waited for the real one to come along, to show that there was a caption to go with the pic. (Sometimes pics had no captions as the description was in the body text)

usually something like:- Caption caption; this pic needs a caption but we are waiting for one from the editor.

apparently it went on in a lot of papers

well one day it back fired on someone leading to the editors resignation and a prepess person getting the boot and the newspaper loosing all respect in the Scottish borders.

Not with us i might hasten to say but another small regional paper in scotland

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3920273.stm

this link has a bit as well   third story down  -DUMMY COPPY HERE

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2004/jul/29/features11.g21

jezza

That's funny Papa  :laugh:

not so funny for the people concerned, but funny
one sick prepress mofo

Pointyhat

OMG, that's hysterical.
I think anyone who's ever worked at a newspaper has had the old "Insert copy/ad here" actually printed.

The only thing I've ever wanted to do is print the crap that I'm sent exactly the way it's sent to me, so the idiot will know that they really CAN'T do DTP.

tapdn

Wasn't it Sears some years back that had to reprint thousands of their catalogues because someone in prepress had scribed the F word on the wall of one small pic? I couldn't find a google reference- so ...
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Joe

Quote from: tapdn on April 07, 2008, 08:59:23 AMWasn't it Sears some years back that had to reprint thousands of their catalogues because someone in prepress had scribed the F word on the wall of one small pic? I couldn't find a google reference- so ...

The one I remember it was a Montgomery Ward catalog.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

No, have never done anything intentional that ever went to press. We've screwed around in typesetting at times, stuff like changing people's business card titles or adding stupid pictures - purely for our own amusement. We once set up this guy's business card and he had a German name and his title was "Leader" or something similar, so our typesetter put swastikas and crap all over and gave me the laser print proof. We were all amused.

This can be dangerous, as I recall a proof being faxed once - the WRONG proof. The one that the typesetter changed the business card job title to "Senior Asshole" or something (the client was a real dick). Luckily I wasn't involved in that mess.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

delooch

once, in my younger, inexperienced days, I placed a little graphic on top of some images in a certain annual print job. (the vendor/client relationship was not what it should have been) - It was it was placed on almost every page. (at the time it was to show ninja skills, but reflecting back is was an act of mass stupidity)  The job got printed, to my knowledge no one ever caught it, but those who knew could point it out.  Im still sweating, even though its been almost 4 years.. i will NEVER do that again.. EVER!

DigitalCrapShoveler

I have never done it. But, back in my Service Bureau days, when we still worked 16 hour days, I had a job once that came in on 3 2-sided optical disks. Minimum loading time 2 hours. This came in at the last minute just before I was ready to leave after doing a 16. I was so irritated, I opened the Quark files in ResEdit, typed some gobbly-goop in the Data file, and saved it out. Then put a note up front with the job that said "FIle Corrupt." I felt bad for about 2 seconds. Only time I have been malicious with a job.
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

Quote from: delooch on April 07, 2008, 02:33:18 PMonce, in my younger, inexperienced days, I placed a little graphic on top of some images in a certain annual print job. (the vendor/client relationship was not what it should have been) - It was it was placed on almost every page. (at the time it was to show ninja skills, but reflecting back is was an act of mass stupidity)  The job got printed, to my knowledge no one ever caught it, but those who knew could point it out.  Im still sweating, even though its been almost 4 years.. i will NEVER do that again.. EVER!

Do tell us what the "little graphic" was!
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david