Mojave 10.14.5 iMac will not connect to Prinergy Server

Started by PrepressCrapFixer, June 26, 2019, 09:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrepressCrapFixer

I have a Mac running the latest OS of 10.14.5 Mojave.  For some reason, I cannot connect to my Prinergy server.  The server is a Dell box running Windows Server 2012R2.  All of my older Macs and PCs have no trouble connecting but this new imac will not allow me to connect to the needed shares to work within Workshop. I should also mention that in order to use Workshop on this mac, we had to update to Prinergy 8.3.  Any Help would be greatly appreciated.
macOSX 12.7 Monterey • Prinergy 10 • Adobe Creative Cloud 2022 • Q800 Trendsetter w/ MCU • Epson Sure Color P7000

JohnO

Did you put the Prinergy server's IP address/server name in the Mac's host file? Does Workshop launch but you can't "open job folder in browser"? If you get an error message when trying to open the job folder, pay attention to what path Workshop is giving you that it can't connect to as it will tell you what it is expecting...you can try adding that to the host file as well. And be sure not to allow the Windows 2012 R2 KB4503276 update to run or it will make it so the Mac can't connect to the Prinergy Primary using SMB...if you use that.

PrepressCrapFixer

I am a bit of a novice when it comes to the mac, I spend more time on a PC.  I am not familiar with a host file on the mac.  Where would I locate that?
Workshop will open, but as soon as I try to do anything in it, it wants to connect to the server, which will not allow me to mount.  All I see is the server showing up in the list of servers on the network, but when I try to connect, it asks for credential which I supply as an Administrator.  I believe it says "There was a problem connecting to server..."  I am not really sure what it is looking for.
macOSX 12.7 Monterey • Prinergy 10 • Adobe Creative Cloud 2022 • Q800 Trendsetter w/ MCU • Epson Sure Color P7000

Joe

As mentioned above by JohnO...Kodak has a bulletin out about this:

macOS client users unable to connect to any SMB file share on the Windows server after installing Microsoft update

Symptoms
After installing the following updates, macOS client users will be unable to connect to any SMB file share on the Windows server:

Windows 2008 R2 KB4503292 update
Windows 2008 Standard KB4503273
Windows 2008 Standard KB4474419
Windows 2012 R2 KB4503276
Whenever an attempt to connect is made, an "Audit failure" entry will appear in the Security Event Viewer on the Windows server with text similar to what is shown in the Error message section below.

Product
Kodak Prinergy Workflow
Kodak Portal Products
Operating System
macOS

Error message
An account failed to log on.

Subject:
       Security ID: NULL SID
       Account Name: -
       Account Domain: -
       Logon ID: 0x0

Logon Type: 3

Account For Which Logon Failed:
       Security ID: NULL SID
       Account Name: ARAXI
       Account Domain: PGYVM-4

Failure Information:
       Failure Reason: An Error occured during Logon.
       Sub Status: 0x0

Process Information:
       Caller Process ID: 0x0
       Caller Process Name: -

Network Information:
       Workstation Name: KODAKCECMACMINI
       Source Network Address: 10.212.6.215
       Source Port: 58211

Detailed Authentication Information:
       Logon Process: NtLmSsp
       Authentication Package: NTLM
       Transited Services: -
       Package Name (NTLM only): -
       Key Length: 0

This event is generated when a logon request fails. It is generated on the computer where access was attempted.

The Subject fields indicate the account on the local system which requested the logon. This is most commonly a service such as the Server service, or a local process such as Winlogon.exe or Services.exe.

The Logon Type field indicates the kind of logon that was requested. The most common types are 2 (interactive) and 3 (network).

The Process Information fields indicate which account and process on the system requested the logon.

The Network Information fields indicate where a remote logon request originated. Workstation name is not always available and may be left blank in some cases.

The authentication information fields provide detailed information about this specific logon request.
       - Transited services indicate which intermediate services have participated in this logon request.
       - Package name indicates which sub-protocol was used among the NTLM protocols.
       - Key length indicates the length of the generated session key. This will be 0 if no session key was requested.

Cause
Unknown. This is a general Windows connectivity issue with macOS and Mac OS X.

Workaround
While waiting for Microsoft to release a statement or fix, our recommendation is to remove the update manually. Alternatively, open a support call with Kodak to have SMB2 enabled and reference SKV 74262 (Windows 2012 or 2016) or SKV 72028 (Windows 2008).

After you remove any updates, manually scan for and hide the problematic updates so that they won't automatically reinstall and break the connectivity again.

1) Remove the update and reboot the system.
    2) Open Windows Update and click Check for updates.
    3) Find the problematic update(s) and hide them:
        a. Clear the check box next to the update name.
        b. Right-click each update and select Hide Update.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

So uninstall Windows update KB4503276. Reboot the Prinergy server. Then hide update KB4503276 as explained above so it doesn't do the update again..

PrepressCrapFixer

Thanks fellas!  I will give this a try and see how it goes.

JohnO

The host file on a Mac or PC is kind of like a network phone book. Your Prinergy server has a name Kodak gave it and an IP address that the server uses on the network. You can help your Mac find your job server and/or your Prinergy server if they are separate by placing the IP address and the expected  name or DNS name that the IP address represents, in the host file. It's located from your finder "Go" pull down > Go to folder... > type /etc and the host file is in the /etc folder. The ideal way to edit it is to use Terminal but I have also pulled a copy out to my desktop and edited with Textedit and copied it back into /etc. Google editing a Mac host file and it will give you an explanation on the what, why and hows of doing it.

Joe

Unfortunately the network browser in Mojave is horrible. While I do have the host file created on my Mac for all of my servers the network browser in Mojave takes up to 20 minutes just to see network shares on the network. I have an Applesscript I load at bootup which has the network share info so it mounts the drives at bootup. Probably horribly insecure but I have to get some work done.

PrepressCrapFixer

Got it fixed! Turns out when when we updated to Prinergy 8.3, someone also updated Windows which just happened to be the one update on the list of problem updates for MACs using SMB. Uninstalled the update and all is well again.  Thanks for all of your help on this one. :yourock: