eps to pdf on PC

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, September 13, 2019, 07:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

Okay, I am trying to look busy today and screwing around with this and that and came across something strange. (not too worried about not being busy, a load of work is coming next week).

Anyways, I had an .eps file on the server and was on the PC and accidentally right clicked and there was an option to convert to pdf. It worked. Soooo, I made up my own .eps file on the Mac with type of all different kinds of fonts and saved as an .eps.... then went back to the PC and did the same thing. It worked, the fonts were all ok as "embedded subsets".

Now I am trying to figure out how useful this would be in actual daily work but I must say, I was very surprised that this could be done.

pspdfppdfxhd

Oh, and I am not jumping back and forth from PC to Mac, I setup the PC on remote desktop.

pspdfppdfxhd

One interesting thing about this process is that it converted the black text to RGB...

Maybe Acrobats color mgmt. settings have to be changed.

pspdfppdfxhd

Yes, had to adjust the color settings for converting to pdf as "leave color unchanged" and compression settings etc.

Joe

Yes you can just open an EPS, or jpeg, tiff, png...etc, in Acrobat and save as PDF on the Mac or PC. I don't think the Mac has the right click option but it is Acrobat doing the conversion either way.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

pspdfppdfxhd

Yes, did not know that this could be done on a Mac as well, I just dragged the .eps to the dock and it opened too.

Never too old to learn new tricks OR realize how little you know I suppose.

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: Joe on September 13, 2019, 08:14:25 AM
Yes you can just open an EPS, or jpeg, tiff, png...etc, in Acrobat and save as PDF on the Mac or PC. I don't think the Mac has the right click option but it is Acrobat doing the conversion either way.

Never knew about the .jpg etc as well. I was opening in photoshop and saving as a pdf all these years.

pspdfppdfxhd

looks like the Mac will do an .ai as well and not the PC. But we're using Acrobat X on the PC which is pretty old. Maybe a newer version would work.

David

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on September 13, 2019, 07:46:02 AM
It worked, the fonts were all ok as "embedded subsets".

weird that it would embed the fonts in a pdf made from an .eps file since .eps files have historically never embedded any fonts...
Did you have the fonts loaded and on in your Suitcase?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

pspdfppdfxhd

I just make up an .eps file on the mac, set some type and duplicated it about 10 times changed each line of type to different font styles. Definately fonts that were not installed on the PC.

Right clicked on the .eps in Acrobat on the PC, converted it to PDF then checked it out with pitstop and the fonts came out fine and embedded subsets.