missing lines of type on plate

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, November 18, 2021, 06:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

How do you explain when one line of type disappears on a plate from a client supplied pdf? We have imposed thousands of these in the past ten years or so without errors. I have seen this happen a few times in past 20 years. Suddenly i am asked to explain why this happened. I have done the usual troubleshooting, nothing amiss. Same font with numerous headings in the pdf but this one just dropped out. Was it the result of a full moon or something?  :facepalm: :facepalm:

Joe

Obviously the client supplied pdf was bad. That is my story and I'm sticking to it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

When I used Prinergy, I saw this happen with PDFs that had been, "corrected" using Acrobat Tools (or edited in Acrobat via Illy or PhotoShop) and NOT via PitStop. Long story short, ALWAYS and ONLY use PitStop for PDF alteration in Acrobat. Don't use any of the Acrobat built in editing features.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

pspdfppdfxhd

I am sure you are right about that. We do quite a bit of image editing in Acrobat with the touchup tool. Over the past 20 or so years I have seen it happen before my eyes about 10 times. I've seen whole blocks of the pdf disappear after the image updates. I do an "undo", do it again and it does not happen. Very annoying. My question would be: is there any other way of editing images in a pdf without touchup? I can't imagine using the pitstop curves tool for this, although we are only on version 13 and will have to upgrade soon. I have saved many curves in photoshop for faces that are reprinted every month. If we have to carry on using the touchup tool in Acrobat then I will just have to grow a few more eyes to catch the error.

:facepalm:

DCurry

One shop I worked at used Neo to edit PDFs. It was much better for accessing images to touch up than Acrobat's default tools.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

abc

I would contact the rip vendor and log a case.
I'm seeing all sorts of new font issues with Canva, Google fonts, Opentype SVG fonts etc.

Just had some with the Indigos dropping Type 3 fonts, so we have a fix for that now in PitStop.
Global Graphics also fixed it in the rip. So it's important to report them, or nothing happens!!

pspdfppdfxhd

The rip is ok, the objects and or fonts disappear right before your eyes (if you catch it) and it's missing in the single pdf that goes into imposition.

scottrsimons

We have also seen customers use Acrobat's Comment feature as an editing tool.  :facepalm:
I'm kinda of the belief (which could be wrong) that some font designers are not as thorough as they used to be, and thus the fonts are not as robust as they once were. Almost to the point, when you get some weird unicode font, maybe just outline it.
But it is also the different OSes that are out there now. The newer OSes are supporting more unicode fonts, where as the older ones don't, and that could play into the issue. That's not even included the designing on the web, which is a whole other beast.
Great time to be in Prepress.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

pspdfppdfxhd

If the issue is caused by image editing in Acrobat, shouldn't this be addressed by Adobe? Or are there just not enough of us experiencing this to cause a change? (I know what you are going to say Joe).

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: abc on November 19, 2021, 06:17:10 AM
I would contact the rip vendor and log a case.
I'm seeing all sorts of new font issues with Canva, Google fonts, Opentype SVG fonts etc.

Just had some with the Indigos dropping Type 3 fonts, so we have a fix for that now in PitStop.
Global Graphics also fixed it in the rip. So it's important to report them, or nothing happens!!

Yes, we had an issue with Google fonts as well. Same customer, I just told them never to use Google fonts and we got out of that one. This font that dropped out occurred many times on many flyers with no issue. Just one line, a small heading above a photo, dropped out.

pspdfppdfxhd

Sorry, the error did not occur many times, just on the one line.

scottrsimons

Google fonts seem to be in Adobe Creative Cloud now. Had a few jobs lately that used fonts and looked on Adobe and noticed they were Google fonts. How nice. An actual good thing.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

Joe

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on November 19, 2021, 06:42:34 AM
The rip is ok, the objects and or fonts disappear right before your eyes (if you catch it) and it's missing in the single pdf that goes into imposition.

OK now that is different than what I thought you meant which was the type was still in the PDF but the RIP dropped it.

Early on in the game when the Edit object tool was new there was a lot of times you would get unexpected results when saving back into the PDF. I don't see that anymore.

Also there is nothing wrong with the Pitstop Curve tool. I love it and use it often. The one thing it will do sometimes is if you do a curve and forget to hit the apply button it will sometimes crash Acrobat when you try to move to do something else.

One of the deadliest things in Prepress is letting that Magic Mouse get away from you and it has happened to me more than once of it deleting something or moving something with a wayward swipe and drag. Also related to the Magic Mouse is getting in a hurry to "Edit Image" with the select object tool and when you right click and try to move down to "Edit Image" just a small wayward click on the "Delete Clip" menu choice can get you too. Been there...done that.

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on November 19, 2021, 06:56:48 AM
If the issue is caused by image editing in Acrobat, shouldn't this be addressed by Adobe? Or are there just not enough of us experiencing this to cause a change? (I know what you are going to say Joe).

You should do this. I had success getting them to bring back the SHIFT+Click to select multiple objects with Pitstop. It was such a pleasant experience I would highly recommend you venture down this path. :sarcasm:

pspdfppdfxhd

I've seen whole chunks of a pdf disappear when the moment comes when the picture updates. That's why I am really thinking that's the problem. And for years we've had the "update picture after editing - ACROBAT CRASH" scenario which has never gone away so maybe it's some "ghost" in the system.

Hail to Joe but please don't get smug in your final 44 days. (or so).  ;D

Joe

Don't worry...when I retire all of these vendors will fix all of their issues and you'll never see another problem.

:gom: