Standard vs Illy Overprint?

Started by tapdn, January 31, 2008, 10:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tapdn

Customer supplied PDFs. This has been a thorn in my side for a while. At times the missing type is not apparent and sometimes while changing the "missing" type to standard overprint I lose other layer/transparency effects. What gives?
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Joe

One of my pet peeves. Customers setting white text to overprint. You can do a global change with Pitstop to convert white overprint to knockout. You can even add it into a preflight profile and have it fix it automatically in Acrobat 8 too. Our (Nexus) RIP also will change white overprints to knockout by default.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

tapdn

thanx Joe...
the same overprint was applied to the blue box behind the white type thus allowing the orange box to show thru, complicated by a drop shadow behind a similar blue box. When I tried a global change I lost transpariency on a graphic at top of page. Finally had customer to go back to native files and fix/ rasterize.
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
~Farabomb

Joe

Sounds like a plan. I wish I had that luxury a lot of times.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Yeah, have tried to wrap my head around this one in the past, too. It's covered in the PSP PDF Manual, but...it ain't bed-time reading...unless you wanna get to sleep real quickly. It's all about the priority level given in the flattening, and can cause probs,...as you've found out. The following links may help.
The first post is the most relevant. The second more relates to the old WOPD, which is well "out there" by now.

http://www.prepressforums.com/forum/enfocus/8727-overprint-mode_inspector.html

http://www.prepressforums.com/forum/tips-tricks-knowledgebase/8867-white-overprint-detector.html
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

doubting_thomas

Quote from: frailer on January 31, 2008, 09:18:23 PM07-16-2007
Gotta post this, briefly. Got some nasty white OPs in a PDF, picked up by checking OP on/off in Advanced...the usual. Opened the offending paths in ILLy, just for a quick look/see, via Touch Up Objects Tool. Couldn't work out why WOPD didn't alert on opening. Back to PSP/Inspector, find that the f@^%*#ing designer has got values C=0, M=0, Y=0, K=0.05. Ya can't win.

Reading this from the old days brought a smile to my face. Sometimes you have to
laugh to keep from crying.

tapdn

Quote from: frailer on January 31, 2008, 09:18:23 PMYeah, have tried to wrap my head around this one in the past, too. It's covered in the PSP PDF Manual, but...it ain't bed-time reading...unless you wanna get to sleep real quickly. It's all about the priority level given in the flattening, and can cause probs,...as you've found out. The following links may help.
The first post is the most relevant. The second more relates to the old WOPD, which is well "out there" by now.

http://www.prepressforums.com/forum/enfocus/8727-overprint-mode_inspector.html

http://www.prepressforums.com/forum/tips-tricks-knowledgebase/8867-white-overprint-detector.html
thanx Frailer...
that helped.
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
~Youston
~Farabomb