Density Bars Only

Started by jason, October 17, 2007, 09:46:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ear

So, that pressman has 20 years of experience or 1 year of experience repeated 20 times? You can't say experience counts for nothing but it is by no means the measure of excellence! Hell, I have a lady that has worked in the prepress at the shop I am currently at for over 20 years that just took in a 6 pg tabloid without question FFS!

I have a pressman that has 20 years of experience that won't even use a damn densitometer, he "eyeballs it"! WTF?!?!?!?! There are guys in the shop that do but this guy is lead pressman on our big heatset. I put bars on the sheet but he doesn't use them! The funny thing is he is a smart guy but he has a mental block on using a densitometer! He comes up and asks about calibration on my plates and proofs and I ask him what his densities are. I check my crap, I know it's good.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

G_Town

Quote from: Earendil on October 24, 2007, 03:00:22 PMHe comes up and asks about calibration on my plates and proofs and I ask him what his densities are. I check my crap, I know it's good.

That's what chaps my a@@ the most they want you to be accurate to within 1 millionth of a percent and have plates chemistry which never fluctuate (well they are pretty stable) but they, on any given day, will run the density so far down the cmy look like pretty pastel colors...and that's when they come in with their eyebrows raised wanting to know the last time you "calibrated" the platesetter. It would be funneh if it werent so sad.
 :'(

Ear

Exactly G_Town!

BTW, I love your signature. That has long been my quote about the country music awards... Winning the CMAs is like winning the special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded. I like the internet arguing reference too. It's easy to be tough when you're hiding behind a monitor and miles of cat5 cable! It's the same with the zit squeezing little ricer racers... they wouldn't dare shove past you with their pencil neck in person but once they're behind the wheel they think they're king of the road. I'm not one for road rage but it's still irritating.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

G_Town

I saw that phrase on a pic on a web site once and thought it pretty dang funny.

Remember the days when a "cool car" had big a@@ed slicks on the back and didn't sound like a moped?

If I see one more honda with that dumba@@ shiney coffee can muffler hanging out the back... and don't get me started on the jeans hanging around the a@@ while the cuffs are dragging in the dirt.

Oh well the price of getting older....(but those kids really are stupid lookin)

Oh where for art tho Arthur Fonzrelli

Ear

Hell yeah, my old 68 Chevy would have had them in my rear view mirror breathing the fumes from the old holley double pumper! I don't usually pay them much attention but I actually smoked one of them the other day in my F-150! It was like, "dude, you just got beat by a truck!" Baaaahahahaaa.... he didn't look like he saw the humor in the situation.  :ninja:

G_Town

I was never so fortunate, my older brother however had a rather nasty 66 chevelle till he wrapped it around a tree.

I spent my misgotten youth in my slant six duster looking for chevettes to take on and someone to buy me a 40oz.
 8)

Sparky

Quote from: G_Town on October 22, 2007, 08:20:13 AMHey! he said the "P" word!

I am from the band of Nights that say "P..."

oh wait that was NI, OK I am from the band of Nights that say "NI"  >:(
"No well engineered plan survives contact with reality"

Chilbear

Let me throw my 2ยข in - how about a colour bar with all solids. Every 5th and 6th one is Red (100M100Y) and Green  (100C100Y) and if you can swing it a 7th (100M100C). All solid and show the traps.

Sparky you also need them on the DI. Wait till the temperature goes AWOL you will chase your tail. DI that are too hot or cold print crap easily and density will be all over the place during the day.

On the pressmen with the simple minds, has anyone considered that densitomiters can have a failing light source and the solids don't read correctly? The result is a smashed job to get density "correct". First sign of this is a few jobs in a row that have offset. Insert finger pointing gestures here...

Sparky

Quote from: G_Town on October 24, 2007, 05:52:45 PMI was never so fortunate, my older brother however had a rather nasty 66 chevelle till he wrapped it around a tree.

I spent my misgotten youth in my slant six duster looking for chevettes to take on and someone to buy me a 40oz.
 8)

Got a 65 Ford Falcon 289 cu.in. built 4 speed Hurst linkage, 411 rear end, stripped all the extra weight out, then mom decided I was too big to be staying at home anymore (at 19) and had to sell it to make rent money :(

Then picked up a 67 Mini S bored out to a 1350 cc dual weber side drafts carbs, Koni shocks, Black mamba wheels (even though they were only 10" diameter by 8" wide), I could take a corner at 60 and never hear them squeal :o  used to get 0 to 90 in 6 seconds but 95 was my top end. Grew up in So Cal. San Fernando Valley, so Malibu canyon, Decker canyon, School Rd, Topanga canyon, etc. they were my testing grounds.

You talk about the days ::) ::)
"No well engineered plan survives contact with reality"