offsetting "$color" variable text mark

Started by DCurry, October 06, 2009, 06:44:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCurry

Okay, so at the new gig they use "$color" to mark the plate with the separation color (my old place we had the platesetter take care of that with a slug.) Isn't there a way to tell Preps to offset the separation names so they don't overprint each other? I thought I heard about that somewhere.

Running Preps Pro 5.2.

Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

johnny_jay

Kodak Prinergy and InSite
Preps
Epson P7000 driven by Fiery XF
Screen 16000N
Screen R36000ZX
3 web presses, 1 sheetfed press
G7 Expert

DCurry

Yeah, that's what I thought it was, but it doesn't work for me. I'll try it again and see if it works. I would think that regardless of the rip it should work because it is a Preps-applied mark. Maybe it doesn't work in 5.2?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

tapdn

We created a custom mark in Illustrator CMYK where the letters are 100% their color, saved as EPS. made a PDF and place in Preps marks and placed in position on each template.
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

DCurry

Quote from: tapdn on October 06, 2009, 08:19:25 AMWe created a custom mark in Illustrator CMYK where the letters are 100% their color, saved as EPS. made a PDF and place in Preps marks and placed in position on each template.

Thought about that, though you could just make the text mark in Preps that way, but neither would do anything with spot colors. I'm not that worried about it right now - it's no big deal. Maybe down the road a bit I'll update to 5.3 and see if that works.

Aaron

I'm sure you did, but you re-imported the template when you changed the text line right? I'm not familiar with the rip you are now using but if I change the text marker in preps I still need to re-import the impo into Prinergy to get the new text variables to work.
Prinergy 6.1, UpFront, Magnus Quantum 400 , Epson 9880, Insite 7.0, Sonora

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

DCurry

Quote from: Aaron on October 06, 2009, 10:32:36 AMI'm sure you did, but you re-imported the template when you changed the text line right? I'm not familiar with the rip you are now using but if I change the text marker in preps I still need to re-import the impo into Prinergy to get the new text variables to work.

Yes, actually it was a brand-new test job I created so it was freshly imported. No dice.

Aaron

I figured. Just thought I would make sure. I've never heard of Xitron Xenith. Is it PDF based? Do they have support that's worth contacting?
Prinergy 6.1, UpFront, Magnus Quantum 400 , Epson 9880, Insite 7.0, Sonora

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Joe

I don't think 5.3 will help any. Here is a list of all of the Preps variable marks. I don't think this is possible in just Preps unless you do a work around like tap mentioned.

Preps Text Variables
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

I know this topic is way old, but why not just place the Preps mark called "Platenames_9x"? There is also one rotated 90 degrees for side placement. It automatically offsets color names so you don't have to write a script.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

mwc

Quote from: digital@sig-1.com on March 16, 2010, 09:17:17 AMI know this topic is way old, but why not just place the Preps mark called "Platenames_9x"? There is also one rotated 90 degrees for side placement. It automatically offsets color names so you don't have to write a script.

The mark called Platenames that I know of is a RamPage systems supplied mark, not a native Preps mark....don't think it will work in other workflows?

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

Preps is weird like that. Some of the native preps marks won't work with the prinergy workflow. You have to use the special prinergy marks.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

Since the move to Preps 6, I'm having this issue with the colors overprinting each other. The $color_offset command doesn't work for Rampage. I also tried "Restrict to section:" and filled in the field with a number, but that also doesn't work. I should specify that it works fine for CMYK, but does not work for SPOT colors. The problem is that I am using self made take off bars using .eps format and the rsi_coloralias designation. The true spot color name overprints the words "rsi_coloralias." The official word from Kodak is: "Yes, this issue dates back for some time, since the advent of the SmartMarks.

At play here is that Preps seems to be placing an instance of the text mark for EACH section on a multiple sectioned press run. This is evident in the PS marks file where you can see that the text mark is placed as many times as there are sections.

One workaround is to set the "Restrict to" at section 1.

This issue has been captured as PREPS-12101. Further, it has been placed as a priority item for resolution in Preps 6.2. In fact, in builds I have received for Preps 6.2 it is already resolved!

Preps 6.2 will be coming out in later this year."

Has anyone on Rampage with Preps 6 figured out a workaround? But I think I am the only B4 poster who has Rampage and preps 6.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Not sure if it will help but try the InRIP ColorID smartmark if you haven't already.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.