2nd interview - oh boy.

Started by t-pat, November 12, 2009, 10:47:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

Nepotism is working for me.  :cool:

Actually it's totally the opposite. I'm held to a higher standard and get yelled at worse becasue the boss is my brother. Yes I do get away with things that I would normally not get away with, like telling the bosses to fuck off on a weekly basis. They also know even with all my bitching and moaning I take care of the company because it's family. It's a balance. Another company we are involved with did the checks to family that have never seen the inside of the shop thing. That doesn't happen in my family, we're German and that shit doesn't fly. You must work in order to get paid.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigitalCrapShoveler

Of course it's working for you, you're nepotising. :laugh: I wouldn't bitch if I were in your shoes either, then again I'm not, so nepotism blows.
Member #285 - Civilian

t-pat

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on November 13, 2009, 04:01:19 PMOf course it's working for you, you're nepotising. :laugh: I wouldn't bitch if I were in your shoes either, then again I'm not, so nepotism blows.

I need to find someone to nepotise off - damn deadbeat or dead relatives are useless.

This place has family working here, but they all actually work.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DigitalCrapShoveler

What a coincidence... my place has family working here too, but they DO NOT work. It's like a Gub job without all the vacation days. You just CANNOT get shafted here. It takes an act of God and a big bribe.
Member #285 - Civilian

t-pat

Got an offer today.  :cool:

Basically the same money I'm making now (I'm salary, this works out to like $0.93/hr less but there's overtime so it wouldn't take much to match it), same insurance but much cheaper (nearly half what I was paying before I decided I couldn't afford it), better schedule as far as commute, longer commute (15 minutes longer, 10 miles farther) but easier on the car due to it being mostly tollway/highway. I got ~5mpg better on the ride there and back than I usually do and shifted 1/10th as much probably.

Got some thinking to do.
vdp donkey

Skryber

Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Chelle

Due to lack of interest, today has been cancelled....

FACT OF LIFE: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

t-pat

Quote from: Chelle on November 17, 2009, 07:21:03 AMCongrats!

Thanks for the congrats everyone. It's a done deal now. Current job wants me for an extra week beyond the 2 I gave notice for, I'm still debating this but inclined to say no.
vdp donkey

DCurry

Way to go! As for staying the extra week, are they willing to maybe pay you a bonus to do so? That might make it worthwhile to consider. Remember - you don't want to burn any bridges!
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

t-pat

Quote from: DCurry on November 17, 2009, 02:13:18 PMWay to go! As for staying the extra week, are they willing to maybe pay you a bonus to do so? That might make it worthwhile to consider. Remember - you don't want to burn any bridges!

Gonna play that one by ear, my gut tells me they won't be giving me anything beyond what is legally required, if I'm lucky.

As far as burning bridges, I've done my best to avoid that, even gave them right of first refusal to give me a position in the printing part of the business, they declined. But everything at this point is ok, my manager just came by to tell me good luck and that I suck for leaving because he will have a hard time finding a replacement that will have what I have to offer.
vdp donkey

t-pat

Ok, well then, day 3 of the new job and nobody's screamed in my face, threatened to kill me, called me fat, or set fire to the place. So far, so good. Wow, they're organized too - seriously invested in computing power and technology.

No blood sausage to be found in prepress so far, it's me, the senior mac jockey who is the team lead, and a guy that does mostly design, but seems to manage to prep files just fine, and I think he can even use Preps if needed. Over us is the systems manager, who is damn good at all things prepress and of service bureau lineage.

Wait, that must make ME the blood sausage... HEY! damnit. :death: How did this happen to me?

Busier than shit too, I see job security as long as I don't screw up too much. Definitely no time to be hanging out posting on various unnamed forums for now. I can barely glance at my email on my phone.
vdp donkey

frailer

Quote from: tpatterson on December 02, 2009, 10:47:20 PMWait, that must make ME the blood sausage... HEY! damnit. :death: How did this happen to me?

Sometimes it can just sneak up on ya.    :evil:

Quote from: tpatterson on December 02, 2009, 10:47:20 PMDefinitely no time to be hanging out posting on various unnamed forumsfor now. I can barely glance at my email on my phone.

No, no unnamed ones...just this one.   :cheesy:

Sounds like you might be pretty happy there, mate.     :cool:   Nice to hear some good news on the job-jump front.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Foozball

Quote from: tpatterson on December 02, 2009, 10:47:20 PMBusier than shit too, I see job security as long as I don't screw up too much. Definitely no time to be hanging out posting on various unnamed forums for now. I can barely glance at my email on my phone.
Wow, how does that feel? Must be good!?!?

Congrats man, glad to hear there are good jobs out there!  :laugh: (Yes, I AM jealous!)

frailer

Quote from: Farabomb on November 13, 2009, 03:53:09 PMThat doesn't happen in my family, we're German and that shit doesn't fly. You must work in order to get paid.

After 25 years, now I get it. Same applies here. Married into Polish/Jewish family. Why weren't you around earlier to explain that, Farabomb. I'd have been less bewildered all these years.   :laugh:

Oh, in case there's any misunderstanding...Farabomb and I are the guys who get to stay back and finish stuff. No questions asked.   
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.