Toning on Quickmaster 46/2...

Started by impodave, September 15, 2010, 01:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

impodave

We have been having continual problems with toning of the non-image area. It is most noticeable where the gripper ends at the lead edge of the sheet, on both printing units. We are using Fuji LHPJ plates, but have been for the last four years. This problem has been showing up for the last 3 or 4 months - now it is on everything. We are using Varn Superlene for Fountain Solution, and the Superior Elite line of inks. We could really use some help with this one, preferably sooner than later ...Thanx.
<<<<<< Here's my Grandkids once again -- they're growing up way too fast !!    Fuji XMF V6.8.2 Complete, Mac OS, Adobe Creative Suite, Epson 7900/EFI XF V4.0, Fuji Dart 4300E, Komori L528 5 color, Komori L429P 4 color,  Heidelberg PM46 2 color, Ricoh, Kyocera, Xante Impressia and a shop full of finishing stuff ...

DigiCorn

Processor issue? Scrub brushes not scrubbing properly? Bad chemistry? Fixer hooked up to Developer by accident? Dirty filter? When was the last time you did a media linearization of your plates?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Chilbear

It sounds like it is plate related to me as well. Try a blank (not through CTP) processed plate to see if it tones in - this will absolve the platemaker. If it tones, then the processor is suspect.Try a hand developed plate as well. If there is a scum dot on the plates where they are toning perhaps the platemaker needs focusing and/or the mirror needs cleaning.

Another source would be the supplier of the Superlene. It may be a chemical issue with your water or it may be your press water roller(s) are in need of changing. How long since the press was checked by a technician? The roller train is critical to getting water correctly to the plate.

boosted29

Have you tried changing the fountain solution? Try Prime Sheetfed. Also I would try to distilled water if you havent already.

This is all relayed from one of my pressman.

I would say initially it looks like plates too, but testing a blank plate could tell you alot
Quote from: gnubler on October 22, 2010, 12:54:19 PM
It's called "prepress". :laugh:

99% of the population doesn't even know we exist or are aware of the work that goes into printing their crap.

Farabomb

You're lucky boosted. All the pressman says to me is the plates are causing picture framing. Even though all the chemistry guys, the other pressman and everyone else is telling him it's his fountain solution. I like the guy but he is stuck in his ways.

Nice avy by the way. What year do you have?
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

boosted29

Quote from: Farabomb on October 22, 2010, 11:16:57 AMYou're lucky boosted. All the pressman says to me is the plates are causing picture framing. Even though all the chemistry guys, the other pressman and everyone else is telling him it's his fountain solution. I like the guy but he is stuck in his ways.

Nice avy by the way. What year do you have?

Well my pressman is very unique.

And I have a 2006 World Rally Blue STI. :)

99% of the population doesn't even know we exist or are aware of the work that goes into printing their crap.

Farabomb

Nice. I co-own a Subaru shop and road race them as well. Have a 00 Silver RS for a daily/track a 96 impreza L with a ej205 swap for a racecar and picking up a 00 OBS for the girlfriend soon. Yea, you can say I like scoobies.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

boosted29

Quote from: Farabomb on October 22, 2010, 11:39:32 AMNice. I co-own a Subaru shop and road race them as well. Have a 00 Silver RS for a daily/track a 96 impreza L with a ej205 swap for a racecar and picking up a 00 OBS for the girlfriend soon. Yea, you can say I like scoobies.

Thats awesome man. My girlfriend has a 2007 Impreza 2.5i.

Owning a shop is a passion of mine as well. Maybe I'll save up enough prepress pennies to be able to do that someday. Where are you located?

G_Town

Press issue all the way, we get that same issue on two different brands of plates. Even had all the pressroom vendors in and they all agreed it wasn't the plates. That being said here we are months later still having the issue.