Plates shifting

Started by Ear, May 24, 2012, 03:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ear

This is an odd problem. Pressman is having a hell of a time figuring it out.

Running a Mercury 4-high web press with RGS register system. Printing 4 color, 2 sides on 30" roll, tabloid. Recently, on runs much over 15-20k, the plates start to slip out of position. Usually starts with one, black is the main culprit, then the RGS sees it and everything goes to hell as it tries to keep in register. Pressman thinks maybe water buildup behind the plates, causing them to float. The plates bend and tuck into the cylinder on this press as opposed to locking in like on a sheetfed. Also, they are using mylar packing behind the plates, glued to the cylinder.

Anyone see this b4? Any insight? It's making for a very grumpy press crew.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

As far as I know. They also just got the RGS working properly... though they say the initial shift has nothing to do with it. They also told me it is happening on both 4-high Mercs.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Sounds odd. I've never heard our pressmen mention anything about the plates moving? Are they sure the plate is actually moving and not just the RGS drifting?

Ear

I asked him and he said the plates are definitely shifting, though I have my suspicions. They are too pissy to talk to about it right now but I just had to reburn a bunch of plates so I figured I would ask a few questions and see if anyone had suggestions. No hurry.

Joe

Get them a tube of super glue. :laugh:

And if it just started recently I'd have to ask them "what did you do"?

Ear

:laugh: I suggested that exact thing! And, I asked them what did they do? They said "I know what we're going to do if a certain prepress guy doesn't go back up front and leave us alone"  :laugh: :laugh: ... I jimmied all the locks on their cars and took a dump on each of their dashboards. It was a busy afternoon for me.

Joe

Quote from: Earendil on May 24, 2012, 05:23:23 PM:laugh: I suggested that exact thing! And, I asked them what did they do? They said "I know what we're going to do if a certain prepress guy doesn't go back up front and leave us alone"  :laugh: :laugh: ... I jimmied all the locks on their cars and took a dump on each of their dashboards. It was a busy afternoon for me.

It's too bad it's not 90+ degrees there. Poop on the dash would ferment nicely in about 2 hours. :laugh:

Nevertheless though...I'm sure it's all your fault.

Skryber

Did they try to re-hang the same plates?
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Ear

No, but they looked like they wanted to hang me.

Skryber

I just don't get how it could be the plates. I'll have to ask the hubby about that one.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Ear

It's the plates, but nothing on my end, and they know that. They're not giving me a hard time, they just didn't feel like having me in their area trying to help troubleshoot.

The plates on this press aren't hung like plates on a sheetfed, where they're clamped on. These are bent, then tucked into a small gap, maybe 1/8th inch, and they just stay on their own spring-loaded tension. They do put a mildly sticky substance on the back but not quite glue.

Skryber

I see. I'm unfamiliar with webs.

Joe

Quote from: Earendil on May 24, 2012, 05:49:58 PMIt's the plates, but nothing on my end, and they know that. They're not giving me a hard time, they just didn't feel like having me in their area trying to help troubleshoot.

The plates on this press aren't hung like plates on a sheetfed, where they're clamped on. These are bent, then tucked into a small gap, maybe 1/8th inch, and they just stay on their own spring-loaded tension. They do put a mildly sticky substance on the back but not quite glue.

The thing that gets me is if it just started they must have changed something...

StudioMonkey

Manufacturers sometimes change spec on plates (and different manufacturers have different specs).  If you have not changed your supplier it is worth asking if the spec has changed (they will say no then well yes but its better this way).  If you have any plates lying around from before this problem started, try those.  If the problem persists, its the press, if not, its the plates.

If you get any more grief from the pressmen, hey you've tried to help and got a flea in your ear.  Leave them to it. 
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana