Plates shifting

Started by Ear, May 24, 2012, 03:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t-pat

Quote from: Skryber on May 24, 2012, 05:51:14 PMI see. I'm unfamiliar with webs.

consider yourself lucky :)
They can do very weird and cool things with webs. Wrap your head around this - some of them the blankets are not flat sheets, but are tubes that load on from the side of the blanket cylinder, so in theory you can print with (nearly) no gripper, just not that area Ear says, like 1/8 gap between the lead and tail edge of the plate bend. On Sunday2000 (and probably other) webs this gap is like 1/16 so you can really print the whole sheet and run that gap in a gutter if you are feeling frisky.

On some you can run units out of time to get 100% coverage by overlapping. You can run one unit 180 degrees out from another to get more print area on webs that have a big gap like Didde webs. Cool stuff, I miss it.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

gnubler

Quote from: Earendil on May 24, 2012, 05:23:23 PMand took a dump on each of their dashboards. It was a busy afternoon for me.

That's my Earendil! :redapple:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Ear

Quote from: t-pat on May 25, 2012, 09:05:20 AM
Quote from: Skryber on May 24, 2012, 05:51:14 PMI see. I'm unfamiliar with webs.

consider yourself lucky :)
They can do very weird and cool things with webs. Wrap your head around this - some of them the blankets are not flat sheets, but are tubes that load on from the side of the blanket cylinder, so in theory you can print with (nearly) no gripper, just not that area Ear says, like 1/8 gap between the lead and tail edge of the plate bend. On Sunday2000 (and probably other) webs this gap is like 1/16 so you can really print the whole sheet and run that gap in a gutter if you are feeling frisky.

On some you can run units out of time to get 100% coverage by overlapping. You can run one unit 180 degrees out from another to get more print area on webs that have a big gap like Didde webs. Cool stuff, I miss it.

Indeed. I have to set my platesetter to "Full Image" and burn over the clamps because otherwise it prints a strip where image is left just outside the bend. And yes, no "gripper", just the cutoff. In this case, it's a 22.75" cutoff and the width of roll is variable but we can print 22.25". Both webs here have about 1/2" non printable area. You can also do strange things like cut to a sheeter or run double parallel folds or a ribbon deck for a 12pg tabloid, finished in-line. Imposition becomes an art form... whole other world from straight forward sheetfed impo.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

gnubler

I just push the print button, that's it. You guys are wasting your time!  :hello:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

That's what I've been doing today, pressing the print button for customers, while they wait :angry:  (stupid csr)
Started to feel like Stinkos for a bit.
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

gnubler

We only turn into Stinko's Friday afternoons at 4:49pm. Never fails.

Good thing I'm leaving at noon today!

t-pat

interesting article which contains a shocking price on a Sunday3000 web that sold at a bankruptcy auction. The guy who wrote the article is one of the sons of the owner of the company I used to work for.

http://www.piworld.com/blog/auction-marks-end-major-commercial-printer-offers-print-equipment-bargains-dustin-lefebvre#

Skip the ad.
vdp donkey

Joe

Quote from: t-pat on May 25, 2012, 01:14:11 PMinteresting article which contains a shocking price on a Sunday3000 web that sold at a bankruptcy auction. The guy who wrote the article is one of the sons of the owner of the company I used to work for.

http://www.piworld.com/blog/auction-marks-end-major-commercial-printer-offers-print-equipment-bargains-dustin-lefebvre#

Skip the ad.

My owner would have a stroke that he missed that deal.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

t-pat

$47k for a Sunday M3000
$1750 for a Didde with inline imaging. Holy crap yeah.

And for you Joe, they're about as close as you're going to find a used Sunday.
vdp donkey

Joe

My owner is always looking for a deal. I can't believe he missed it.

t-pat

although I did not become aware of the auction until I read the article, it was pretty public. Apparently American Litho bought Berlin a year ago and began liquidating stuff after that some time, and the auction was listed on AuctionZip, a pretty popular auction site for this sort of stuff. He should maybe sign up on their site so they can spam him with upcoming auctions.

Someone got a freakin killer deal, I wonder if it was my old company. They tend to go for deals like this too, but I'm not sure if they need a 3rd Sunday (they bought 2 at new retail prices within the last 5-6 years)
vdp donkey

Joe

He gets tons of emails already about stuff like this which is why it surprised me he missed it. Maybe he didn't think it would work for the stuff we do but I know he's been looking to get into some other types of work. This would have been great. $47K is a steal.

t-pat

that HAS to be less than the scrap value too. Mind boggling. Sundays go for millions of dollars new, and they haven't been on the market long enough to be considered "old".
vdp donkey

Joe

Quote from: t-pat on May 25, 2012, 02:44:33 PMthat HAS to be less than the scrap value too. Mind boggling. Sundays go for millions of dollars new, and they haven't been on the market long enough to be considered "old".

Close to it I bet. Someone had to be really desperate for cash.

t-pat

Quote from: Joe on May 25, 2012, 02:44:04 PMHe gets tons of emails already about stuff like this which is why it surprised me he missed it. Maybe he didn't think it would work for the stuff we do but I know he's been looking to get into some other types of work. This would have been great.

the didde is a no-brainer at $1750, takes 1 semi-skilled operator to run straight printing, and the inline imaging portion is a gold mine if you have that sort of work. It is definitely out there.
vdp donkey