News:

Main Menu

New laptop

Started by Farabomb, June 07, 2016, 08:27:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

Oh, and the new platesetter we desperately need. And the Epson that's about the throw it's belt.

But since it works, it's good, right? The dots don't have to be the same.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Now you are just trying to kill him! :rotf:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Farabomb

Was just at microcenter to pick up a new computer for the front office. Besides the myriad of smells that was here it seemed to be let's buy a computer day. Since I was waiting quite a while I putzed around with the laptops. A lot of them were nice and shiny, all metal touch but they still felt like floppy plastic. I was less then impressed with most of them but there were a few that caught my eye.

I still want to get the boss to buy me a new laptop because reasons but should I look into just getting a copy of preps 6? Would that allow me to update OSX without having to upgrade everything? I have EVO so all I need is a .jdf file. Preps 6 spits them out, correct? EVO doesn't have the impo integration like full blown prinergy.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

I don't even know if you can still buy Preps 6 because it is obsolete. The latest is Preps 7.5 and yes it can spit out a .jdf or a .pjtf. Take your pick.

System requirements for Preps 7.5 is:

Supported operating systems   
Apple Macintosh OS X 10.9
Apple Macintosh OS X 10.10
Apple Macintosh OS X 10.11
Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R1/R2

You had also mentioned getting the CC subscription. System requirements for that are:

InDesign CC (2015) system requirements and language versions

Windows
Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon 64 processor
Microsoft Windows 7 with Service Pack 1, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10
2 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended)
2.6 GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on removable flash storage devices)
1024 x 768 display (1280 x 800 recommended) with 32-bit video card; supports HiDPI display
To use the new InDesign Touch workspace, you must have a touch screen enabled tablet/monitor running Windows 8 or above (such as Microsoft Surface Pro 3) with the screen resolution set to 2160 x 1440 or more
Adobe® Flash® Player 10 software required to export SWF files
Internet connection and registration are necessary for required software activation, validation of subscriptions, and access to online services.*

Mac OS
Multicore Intel processor
Mac OS X v10.9, v10.10 or v10.11
2 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended)
2.5 GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on a volume that uses a case-sensitive file system or on removable flash storage devices)
1024 x 768 display (1280 x 800 recommended) with 32-bit video card; supports Retina display
Adobe® Flash® Player 10 software required to export SWF files.
Internet connection and registration are necessary for required software activation, validation of subscriptions, and access to online services. *
Windows 2012 R2

Farabomb

CC would only be if I got the laptop as well. Hearing the horror stories I don't want to stop using 5 as it works just fine... on old ass OSes.

I'm listening to the SiL bitching how she's going from XP to Win7 and how everything will be different and such. Her son just tells her to be quiet and take the 5 files you use daily, put it on a USB and figure out where they moved everything in the new OS. It can be a pain in the ass but it's not the end of the world.

Well, it is when the bosses computer changes. Those are just hateful times. "how can they do this to me!", "this must be illegal somehow", "why did it change, it works fine just as it was" Mind you he ran a DOS based contact list until only a few years ago. I'm not a huge fan of change but it's really not he end of the world.

I still don't want to learn preps 7.  :angry:

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on June 09, 2016, 12:17:18 PMI still don't want to learn preps 7.  :angry:

On the plus side it is pretty much the same as Preps 6.

Farabomb

From what I've read that's not really a plus.  ;)

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Kodak says it is great! How dare you defy Kodak!

Farabomb

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Little did anyone know that inside those Dell servers is a miniature nuclear reactor that runs Prinergy. No wonder support costs an arm and a leg.