Downloads via Remote Desktop

Started by frailer, October 06, 2016, 05:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

One of our in-house dezingers uploaded4 large ZIP'd files to HighTail. SOP...normally not a real problem.
I get SMS around brekky time fr manager saying he's (via remote Desktop fr home), downloaded em into a folder where we access such jobs on their office server..

I get in to work..try to unZIP em, showing 'corrupted/can't open'.
He tries same thing (he's on a Windows machine in the office). Same result.

I go back down and re-download from links on her original emails. All goes swimmingly. She's on a Mac. I'm on a Mac.

Any ideas as to why this might be happening? Bear in mind he'll be terribly defensive and invoke the Shaggy defense if I imply it may be his route causing it.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on October 06, 2016, 05:55:55 PMOne of our in-house dezingers uploaded4 large ZIP'd files to HighTail. SOP...normally not a real problem.
I get SMS around brekky time fr manager saying he's (via remote Desktop fr home), downloaded em into a folder where we access such jobs on their office server..

I get in to work..try to unZIP em, showing 'corrupted/can't open'.
He tries same thing (he's on a Windows machine in the office). Same result.

I go back down and re-download from links on her original emails. All goes swimmingly. She's on a Mac. I'm on a Mac.

Any ideas as to why this might be happening? Bear in mind he'll be terribly defensive and invoke the Shaggy defense if I imply it may be his route causing it.

That kind of indicates there was a problem with the upload to Hightail. Like maybe they closed the browser before they were completely uploaded. I have seen people do this before. Have them to upload again and make sure they get done.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Or wait a minute...when you say "I go back down and re-download from links on her original emails. All goes swimmingly. She's on a Mac. I'm on a Mac." that after you re-downloaded them they unzip fine? If that is the case it's all on the manager.

frailer

Yeah, my usual cryptic there Joe. Shoulda said... I successfully (re)downloaded her original upload.

I suspect there's a remote desktop/PC glitch happening.  He'll have none of it, of course.   :drunk3:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Sounds like a PICNIC problem to me. :rotf:

Farabomb

Yup, It's a faulty carbon unit.

I used to have a designer that would upload to the FTP and every singe time it would be corrupt. I sent nuts trying to troubleshoot it. Turned out she'd upload right at the end of the day then shut her computer off, not allowing it to upload. It took me a few months to figure that one out. Never underestimate idiots.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on October 07, 2016, 07:05:18 AMYup, It's a faulty carbon unit.

I used to have a designer that would upload to the FTP and every singe time it would be corrupt. I sent nuts trying to troubleshoot it. Turned out she'd upload right at the end of the day then shut her computer off, not allowing it to upload. It took me a few months to figure that one out. Never underestimate idiots.

Whew....so it isn't just me! ;D

Farabomb

I haven't had work from her in a while. Do you have a customer that told you "I have no idea what I'm going at all. I only know the basics but people pay me so I don't care." I've never wanted to reach through the phone and choke the life out of someone so much. You can guess what kind of dream ALL her files were.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Is there another type of customer?

Farabomb

Actually yes, I have some very good customers and a few that are a bit too much. I'm a bit anal when it comes to file prep but some of my customers will stress on something really minor, then forget to proofread the damn thing.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

Quote from: Farabomb on October 07, 2016, 08:37:38 AMproofread the damn thing.

what is this "proofread" thing you speak of? 

:drunk3:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca