News:

Main Menu

Quark XPress 2018

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, April 10, 2019, 11:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

Guess what I am doing right now... installing QuarkXpress 2018!

scottrsimons

Because your tired of slow responsiveness of Indesign??
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

David

nope, he has a death wish...
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

AaronH

I gotta say, the adobe programs are getting slower with each update. I checked the Activity Monitor, and with them all running (INDD, AI, PS and Acrobat DC) I'm only using about half of my 16gb RAM. Its still slow. Not quite powering on a Windows 95 machine slow, but close.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: david on April 10, 2019, 11:30:00 AM
nope, he has a death wish...

One of our clients, an old guy who has been using Quark forever bought a new computer and had to update. We get quite a bit of work from him and he is not confident he'll ever learn InDesign so...

It's ok. I've been dealing with his "files from hell" for about 20 years. Hopefully Quark might have improved since version 9 but then again, I may be whistling dixie.

pspdfppdfxhd

I knew this thread would get a quick and violent response!  :drunk3:

David

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on April 10, 2019, 11:38:14 AM
Hopefully Quark might have improved since version 9 but then again...

you must be on drugs...

either that or the drugs are wearing off

:lmao:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

motormount

Last time i installed quark i ended up formating osX ( 10.4 was it, if i remember right ).

But most probably i did something wrong....  :D

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: david on April 10, 2019, 04:14:18 PM
Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on April 10, 2019, 11:38:14 AM
Hopefully Quark might have improved since version 9 but then again...

you must be on drugs...

either that or the drugs are wearing off

:lmao:

Oh yeah, if only there was a drug that would help.  :drunk3:

I am hoping that 2018 will handle pdf's better. This guy drops pdf ads in his publication in version 9 and every one has to be rasterized in photoshop and replaced. Quark 9 can butcher up pdfs.

I'll keep y'all posted. You may run into this down the road somewhere, God forbid.

pspdfppdfxhd

Hmmmm, full res previews, color looks right. In Quark 9 the color was terrible. Even when fidgeting with the color management settings.

Now lets see how pdf export works, fingers crossed.

pspdfppdfxhd

Well not quite full res previews but a lot better.

Viewing color on pdfs or eps's way off. Had to tinker with color mangement, seems ok.

Crashed 1x.

Exported pdfs look good, may not have to rasterize ads any more. Fingers crossed.

pspdfppdfxhd

Been dealing with "Quark suckage" for over 20 years so this upgrade may actually help.

Fingers crossed.

Tracy

I have never used a newer version of quark
Prolly works pretty good with a good monitor

ok, calm down everybody :laugh:

Joe

We have one customer still using Quark 8. He can't send us a PDF because he places PDF's into Quark and they come out funky so he still sends his Quark files, links, and fonts. Of course there are always links and fonts missing. We have Quark 8 also. But somehow we can make a PDF with those PDF's in the Quark document and they look fine. Hmmm...could it be he is just too lazy to figure it out? If I were king I would tell him to send GOOD pdf's or find another printer. Of course if I were king I would have no customers.

:facepalm:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

pspdfppdfxhd

Never thought I would see the day when we'd update Quark. And it seems a whole lot better at this point. (fingers crossed).

Just never can tell in this life. It's like a box of chocolates.......... :drunk3: