Windows 10 as a workstation

Started by DigiCorn, October 01, 2019, 11:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

For the time being, I have no choice but to struggle through the day using Windows 10, and it is frustrating to say the least. Someday I'll get a Mac again, but for now it is what it is. Is there a way to force Windows 10 to display previews of AI and PS images? I have tried a few third-party options, but they don't do what I need them to do. Also, is there a way to create a fixed sidebar that doesn't move around? Mine keeps reflecting open folders, etc and I have to keep scrolling back up to get where I need to be.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

#1...you mean like hitting the space bar on a Mac does when you have the image selected?

#2...you mean in a Windows Explorer window (like the Mac finder)?

If the answer to both is yes then the answer is no. (I think)  :grin:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

#1...is this one of the things you have tried?

QuickLook

Joe

DigiCorn

I just want it more "Mac-like." By that I mean, see the navigation pane on the left? I want that static - to not expand folders open, and to stay put with my favorite locations always showing. And on the right in the preview pane, I want it to show a preview. It will for pdfs, but nothing else.  And I want my pdf icons to look like pdf icons.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

In Windows explorer do not navigate with in the left column. Click the top level in the left column and then drill down in the right column and the left column will not expand as you drill down.

By default the default application for PDF's in Win 10 is Microsoft Edge. You need to change the Default app to Acrobat and then your icons will display with the PDF icon.

DigiCorn

it is... has been since before i sent that screen shot, too
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

So if you double click the PDF it does open in Acrobat instead of Edge?

DigiCorn

It will open in Acrobat, but I get the shit icon instead of the pretty one.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Just tried it on a Windows 10 version 1809 pc and I had the crap icons and Edge was the default app. Installed Acrobat and it asked me if I wanted to make it the default app so I did and the PDF icons are now the standard Adobe PDF icon. What version of Windows 10 are you running?

DigiCorn

― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

AaronH

What icon shows up on your taskbar or in the start menu?

I found this on https://community.adobe.com/t5/Acrobat/Acrobot-XI-Pro-wrong-icon-Bug/td-p/4660508:

QuoteThis is how  you fix it in Windows 10:
Remove, unpin or delete Adobe Acrobat icon from the Start Menu, the desktop and (if you have it there) from the taskbar.
Go to C: > ProgramData > Microsoft > Windows > Start Menu > Programs and you'll find the "sinner" "Adobe Acrobat XI Pro" with the wrong icon. The that looks like a shortcut. Delete it!.. Close the window.
Go to C: > Program Files (x86) > Adobe > Acrobat 11.0 > Reader... and find Acrobat.exe
Right click on Acrobat.exe > Send to > Desktop
Right click again on Acrobat.exe > Pin to Start Menu... and close the window
Right click on Acrobat.exe - shortcut (that you just created on your desktop) > Copy
Go back to: C: > ProgramData > Microsoft > Windows > Start Menu > Programs... and Paste the shortcut here (you need administrator privileges for that)
Rename this shortcut from "Acrobat.exe - shortcut" to "Adobe Acrobat XI Pro"
Close the window
Now if you open any PDF document, the right icon will appear on the taskbar.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

AaronH

I found another possible fix, specifically directed at fixing PDF icons:

https://www.pretentiousname.com/adobe_pdf_x64_fix/index.html
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

DigiCorn

Moot point. I just got a trash can Mac! I will get it set up later today or tomorrow
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

sajith7928

I think you should use different/third-party file explorer software for Windows. The Windows file explorer not an advanced file manager, so try another alternative file manager like VOSI.biz, fman, One Commander, etc. Here is the list of alternative file managers. Using those explorers you can preview images, Ability to move divider between Folder-Columns and current folder, Minimize the program to System Tray, Versatile preview, etc.