Creating 2up file from 1up file

Started by Aaron, June 26, 2009, 01:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron

I know there has got to be a way. I have a Canon 7095 B&W printer. I have a 5.5x8.5 180pg coil bound book that I need to print 2up so that when the book is printed, I've got 2 books on a 8.5x11 and then cut it apart to get two seperate book. So each 8.5x11 page would have 2up of the same 5.5x8.5 page. Does that make sense?

I can not get ID to output a ps or PDF this way. It will put 2 pages on the 8.5x11 page, but it will only do consecutive pages. So pages 1 and 2 are next to each other on the 8.5x11. Not page 1 up twice on the 8.5x11.

Anyone have any ideas?
Prinergy 6.1, UpFront, Magnus Quantum 400 , Epson 9880, Insite 7.0, Sonora

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

DigitalCrapShoveler

Funny enough... download the stand alone PDF editor from the Thread Matt Beals started... I just did it and it works great.

Here's a linky...

https://www.b4print.com/index.php?topic=3610.msg82806;topicseen#msg82806
Member #285 - Civilian

delooch

ive got a canon 7105, (dont know if the engine/controller is similar) but there is a "special feature" function on the control panel that will allow you to do this.

nope, i lied. its on the imageware print controller.. :(

gnubler

Quite Imposing will also do step/repeats in Acrobat. Do they still have a free demo? I haven't used it for a few years now.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Aaron

Cool! Thanks guys. I'll check out the one DCS mentioned.

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

DigitalCrapShoveler

Like I said Bro, I had never even used it until Friday... it works like a dream. Let me know how it goes.
Member #285 - Civilian

Aaron

Just tried it. Very cool. Wish I had this a couple years ago. Last year we had to manually step and repeat in ID. What a pain.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Glad it worked. I spent the better part of an hour trying to get InDesign and Acrobat to do it... not happening. Decided to try PDF Toolbox... took me all of 3 minutes.
Member #285 - Civilian

Aaron

haha. Same here. I even tried in Preps thinking there has got to be a way to output a pdf with the assigned pages. Nope. Seems like such an easy function but Adobe just skipped that one.

Contrast

I just did this same thing the other day, I used PDF Multipage import. It's free, not a trial version. It's a script developed by Adobe for ID. Real easy interface, I had an 80 page book that the NFG set up in printers spreads but it was in fact being drilled for a small three ring cover. Seriously it took me all of 5 minutes to get the book set up. You have control over placement, page starts, the wholeshebang :D

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail&loc=en_us&extid=1046385

frailer

Sounds like a real nugget, Contrast. Shall check that out Monday.

Seeing as someone's mentioned Quite Impose...Had an experienced pp op. look in this week, who teaches at a private college, (one of the better ones). When I said to her, "wouldn't it be worthwhile for the college to buy a couple of copies of PREPS, at least give them some hands-on before they hit the front lines?". (assuming someone will give them a job; not a foregone conclusion).  She replied that they had "polled the worksites out there, and many are using Quite Impose...".

I'd always assumed it was an also-ran lightweight, compared to PREPS and Dyna. Anyone use it, or the Plus version, in-house? Just curious, is all.    :undecided:

Oh, I also plugged PitStop Pro. I can't imagine such an outfit not giving students that as well. At the end of this week, I'm a disillusioned senior citizen.   :angry:

edit:  yeah, I get that it's an Acrobat plugin...a different ballpark, obviously.    :shrug:

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Aaron

Always used Preps here. And Pitstop has saved my behind a number of times. And saved the designer's behind a number of time.

You need them both in my opinion.

Although I hear Metrix is really giving Preps a run for it's money.

mattbeals

If you run into a situation where you need to get something like simple impositions, color conversions, document optimizations, layering (creating or flattening) pdfToolbox makes a great addition to you workflow whether you have PitStop Pro or not.

Through the end of the year there is a competitive upgrade available for all PitStop users. Instead of the 499 Euros price, USD $697, you can cross-grade to Callas pdfToolbox 4.x for 399 Euros, USD $557. That discount can also be applied to PitStop volume license agreements!
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.