Watch yer back, Adobe!

Started by Slappy, October 02, 2014, 03:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: frailer on October 05, 2014, 10:16:32 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on October 03, 2014, 09:21:17 AMOr you can just use the your credentials from your work CC copy at home. Perfectly legal.
... a gap in my American entertainment culture database. Who is your avatar?

Carla's ex-husband, Nick Tortelli's new wife.
Member #285 - Civilian

Possum

Here is a link from Adobe's user forums listing many alternatives to Adobe's stranglehold.
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1206666
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Joe

You can find substitutes for Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign but what you can't find a replacement for is the Acrobat/Pitstop combo which is an absolute must for me. And before someone mentions NEO it is not really affordable if it is even still available.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Possum

That's the problem with the replacements. Adobe is so embedded in our workflows or ways of doing things, it's almost impossible to switch, especially for the larger companies. Not to mention the fact that some are Windows or Mac only. For freelancers, it's a lot easier to switch.

Farabomb

And then we get the craptastic results from said programs.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Possum

They are many craptastic programs around. I had a booklet to print that dropped something or screwed up something different with each attempt to output. Figured it was too many hands using too many "free" programs to create it. Of course, making a PROPER PDF was out of the question.

Xara looks promising and more professional, Windows only. Pixelmator gets a lot of praise, Mac only. Some people swear by Corel products. There are better ones coming up.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

Ear

HATE Corel. We do a fair amount of printing for a local marketing firm and one of the guys works in Corel. He tries to tell me how superior Corel is. I said, ya, that is why I bill an extra hour of prepress on all of your jobs, doctoring Corel infections.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigitalCrapShoveler

:popcorn:
Quote from: Ear on October 07, 2014, 10:26:44 AMHATE Corel. We do a fair amount of printing for a local marketing firm and one of the guys works in Corel. He tries to tell me how superior Corel is. I said, ya, that is why I bill an extra hour of prepress on all of your jobs, doctoring Corel infections.

Anyone that's been in Corel and hits command-zero knows why Corel sucks.

Powerclip, what a novel and completely cluster-fuck way to do things, It makes Illustrator's Clipping Mask look stable.

Paste-Inside... THAT is how they should all be.
Member #285 - Civilian

Ear

Even better... this client was comparing Corel to Photoshop, FFS, not even Illy or Indy. At that point, I just stopped arguing. :shrug:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Ear on October 07, 2014, 11:00:59 AMEven better... this client was comparing Corel to Photoshop, FFS, not even Illy or Indy. At that point, I just stopped arguing. :shrug:

Like a Sherman tank versus a Twinkie. There is NO battle. Yes, the Twinkie is delicious, but that has nothing to do with the war.
Member #285 - Civilian

Ear

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Possum

A few, but they don't post anymore.  ;)

Ear