Epson not seeing new ink cartridges

Started by AaronH, August 19, 2022, 10:13:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AaronH

Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone has run across this before... Our Light Light Black isn't being recognized as installed. The empty cartridge is recognized if we put it back in. Fuji gave us a replacement cartridge that we got this morning and still no go. When the door is open it sees the cartridge as full, but once the door is closed and it has a moment to make some noise, then it says there is no ink cartridge installed.

Epson's site isn't helpful, they just say to re-seat cartridges and turn off the machine and turn it back on. We've tried that on both new cartridges and nothing's working.

Edit: the Epson in question is a SC-P8000.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

DigiCorn

I swear this will work; it's what we did at a shop once. On the seam of the cartridge that's recognized, carefully slice through the sticker with a razor blade and crack the plastic housing open. Inside is a bag of ink, with a nozzle that rests in a cradle. Do the same with the new bag. Put the new bag in the old housing and tape the cartridge back together and resinsert. Should work fine.

Not sure if they still make the Iris brand name, but it is just an Epson with Iris badging, and the tabs on the cartridge are in a different spot, but the ink was more expensive because of the rebranding so we bought Epson ink and did this all the time to save money.

It's like taking an old N64 game from Japan and cutting the bottom so that it fits in the American console to make it playable, instead of buying the Japanese console or an adapter.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

AaronH

Tracy

wow! that sounds like an epson problem, I hope I don't have to go through that

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

AaronH

Quote from: DigiCorn on August 19, 2022, 11:18:35 AM
Quote from: AaronH on August 19, 2022, 10:50:47 AMOh interesting. I'll give it a shot.
let me know...
No dice. It now gives me an error on that cartridge to call service, specifically "Ink Service Error 1537".

DigiCorn

Quote from: AaronH on August 19, 2022, 11:52:51 AM
Quote from: AaronH on August 19, 2022, 10:50:47 AMOh interesting. I'll give it a shot.
let me know...
No dice. It now gives me an error on that cartridge to call service, specifically "Ink Service Error 1537".

should have known better; worth a shot, though... it's been since 2003/4 we did that. Technology has changed.

just to clarify, it did that on the ink, right? You weren't trying to shove an N64 cartridge in there?
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

AaronH

Quote from: DigiCorn on August 19, 2022, 11:56:22 AM
let me know...

should have known better; worth a shot, though... it's been since 2003/4 we did that. Technology has changed.

just to clarify, it did that on the ink, right? You weren't trying to shove an N64 cartridge in there?
HAHA yeah I definitely didn't try to shove a N64 cartridge in. Oddly enough one of the new (unfungled) cartridges just finally worked. No idea why.

Tracy

can you try a different size cartridge? mine has 2 size options
I always get the larger one, but they have a small one too
maybe there is an issue with the cartridge size that you have now

I would never recommend using a non epson ink, but maybe get one to get you through this?
They owe you a workable ink

I would try the other epson size first tho, please sign my disclaimer!!  ;D

Joe

Quote from: AaronH on August 19, 2022, 12:14:16 PMHAHA yeah I definitely didn't try to shove a N64 cartridge in. Oddly enough one of the new (unfungled) cartridges just finally worked. No idea why.
The stars aligned.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Quote from: AaronH on August 19, 2022, 12:14:16 PM
let me know...

HAHA yeah I definitely didn't try to shove a N64 cartridge in. Oddly enough one of the new (unfungled) cartridges just finally worked. No idea why.

Probably a bad chip
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

AaronH

Quote from: DigiCorn on August 19, 2022, 12:21:50 PM
Quote from: AaronH on August 19, 2022, 12:14:16 PM
let me know...

Probably a bad chip
This is my guess. Though weird that we'd have two bad chips back to back.... or not. Xerox was having bad chips on their versant toner cartridges not that long ago.

AaronH

Quote from: Tracy on August 19, 2022, 12:14:31 PMcan you try a different size cartridge? mine has 2 size options
I always get the larger one, but they have a small one too
maybe there is an issue with the cartridge size that you have now

I would never recommend using a non epson ink, but maybe get one to get you through this?
They owe you a workable ink

I would try the other epson size first tho, please sign my disclaimer!!  ;D
Yeah Fuji gave us a cartridge for free and now the new free cartridge is working, just took a while for it to recognize it I guess. We've only used the large cartridges too but it's worth a shot. I've got our estimator ordering us a new cartridge just in-case this one goes sideways too.

Tracy

AaronH

HAH, small update. Sent a job over to it to print and it gave the "No Ink Installed" error. I checked things out some more and had a thought to try to lift the cartridge up slightly, stuck a piece of cover stock under it, closed the door and now it works perfectly. My guess is misaligned chips or the cartridge guides are somehow worn down.