PDF proofs for emailing

Started by scottrsimons, March 13, 2018, 10:13:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottrsimons

Quote from: abc on March 13, 2018, 03:44:37 PMHow about this, high res production file, no downloads, standard browser.

I'm intrigued, how do I go about seeing a demo of the PDF review module?  We currently do not have Switch, just PitStop Pro 13.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

abc

If you ping me an email at 'andrewb@enfocus.com' I'll get one of our local partners to do an online demo for you.
Happy to help, may even sit in on it.

JohnO

We use InSite SmartReview which let's the customer view the refined with trapping PDF. It hasn't been RIP'd yet but neither has a PDF if you were sending that. If they want to see a RIP'd proof we would send them an Epson 9000 proof sent as a tiff from Prinergy using the same RIP that will be used to send to plate. My understanding about the Switch PDF Review module is that the customer needs to load some software on their end. You get 5 seats so 5 customers can each view one PDF at a time. You need switch and the PDF Review Module and it runs on your server. I believe the Review Module is around $3600 itself. We have about 1300 InSite customers. Some like to page through a 2000 page book which is easy to do in SmartReview or the standard Preview option.

abc

Close John but no cigar.

No downloads on the customer side, just a standard browser.
That's very important, it's a very smooth customer experience.

It's a concurrent model, so licensing is the number of users that are on the system at the same time.
The total number is irrelevant, it's the amount at one time.
We also have an overspill feature to handle the peaks and troughs of production.

JohnO

My apologies, Andrew. I must have been thinking about the Connect or the Web Services module or one of the other Enfocus product where I thought I read required sending the customer something to put on their computer. Thanks for clarifying that.

scottrsimons

JohnO, we used to have InSite, but had too many issues with it back when it was Java based, and many customers and management really didn't like it. So when it came time to do an upgrade this past year, they decided to axe it. Granted if they would have allowed me to spend more time in it, and with customers, it might have been successful, but I was having to wear WAY too many hats at that point.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

JohnO

Quote from: scottrsimons on March 20, 2018, 12:45:34 PMJohnO, we used to have InSite, but had too many issues with it back when it was Java based, and many customers and management really didn't like it. So when it came time to do an upgrade this past year, they decided to axe it. Granted if they would have allowed me to spend more time in it, and with customers, it might have been successful, but I was having to wear WAY too many hats at that point.
I agree that it is really nice that it is no longer Java based. Much easier to support.

Joe

Quote from: JohnO on March 20, 2018, 01:01:10 PM
Quote from: scottrsimons on March 20, 2018, 12:45:34 PMJohnO, we used to have InSite, but had too many issues with it back when it was Java based, and many customers and management really didn't like it. So when it came time to do an upgrade this past year, they decided to axe it. Granted if they would have allowed me to spend more time in it, and with customers, it might have been successful, but I was having to wear WAY too many hats at that point.

I agree that it is really nice that it is no longer Java based. Much easier to support.

Both Java and Flash being removed was  a great thing. Made my whole work life a whole lot easier.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

JohnO

One other plus for InSite is that you can choose to allow the customer to be able to download their PDF files if they prefer to rather than using SmartReview or Preview.

Slappy

Quote from: abc on March 17, 2018, 07:21:30 AMIf you ping me an email at 'andrewb@enfocus.com' I'll get one of our local partners to do an online demo for you.
Happy to help, may even sit in on it.
I may very well piggyback onto that offer. We've got a bunch of clients currently that we take wayyyyy to many steps to get PDF Proofs out too, imo. We're also adding (via a new MIS system) Switch so I'm hoping the Review Module could tie into that MIS system's Switch install. That's taking longer to get going though, and it'll be months before it's stable enough to introduce anything additional - but I can dream & explore!
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

abc

Slappy we can make that work, and scott's ok with it.
drop me a mail and we can get the date arranged over email.

zox

We have Insite and I have nothing good to say about it.
I demo'ed Enfocus PDF Review and was very pleasantly surprised.
Once we finalize our MIS/ERP deployment, I am sure we will try to replace Insite with PDF Review.
Hopefully by that time PDF Review will be on version 2 with even more features and more mature.

-Major benefit that I see is that is vendor neutral, it does not mater which workflow you are running, you can tie PDF Review with anything and everything at the same time.
Also, you are in full control of the PDF and what you want to do before and after the review.
No need to manage clients and administer it.

frailer

We are small, by most standards, and relatively low volume. We're running the latest Fujifilm XMF 'flow, as well as upgraded Black Magic.
It's a case-by-case, for us. The *best* 'downsizer', lately, for me, has been Pitstop's EAL, Minimize File Size. It just seems to work. But that's on pre-rendered files. If we use Exported PDFs from Black Magic, which will have full render-integrity, including Trapping, we can usually tweak the settings to reach a compromise on quality/file size.

But the pre-rendered, (Exporting of the imposed from XMF, then >Minimize File Size), is our usual go-to.

But yep, for larger places I'd imagine online viewing, (no downloads), is the future. Smaller places too, for that matter.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: zox on March 21, 2018, 02:18:29 PMWe have Insite and I have nothing good to say about it.
Once we finalize our MIS/ERP deployment, I am sure we will try to replace Insite with PDF Review.
Hopefully by that time PDF Review will be on version 2 with even more features and more mature.

-Major benefit that I see is that is vendor neutral, it does not mater which workflow you are running, you can tie PDF Review with anything and everything at the same time.
Also, you are in full control of the PDF and what you want to do before and after the review.

It is much better since they got Flash and Java out of it. But I'll bet the Enfocus solution is about $37 billion dollars cheaper than Kodaks.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: Joe on March 21, 2018, 05:07:04 PM
Quote from: zox on March 21, 2018, 02:18:29 PMWe have Insite and I have nothing good to say about it.

It is much better since they got Flash and Java out of it. But I'll bet the Enfocus solution is about $37 billion dollars cheaper than Kodaks.

Kodaks..... replace the K with a V and it  looks alot like vodka. Yummmm