new scanner

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, August 24, 2010, 01:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on August 24, 2010, 07:40:58 PMWe actually had a full time person that ran our AGFA T5000 scanner for about 6 hours a day for about 4 years. We were charging about 40 bucks for an 8.5 x 11 scan for roster books and I guarantee that scanner was paid off for in about 1 year...even though it cost about 40,000 dollars.

Anyway, that was A LONG TIME AGO SO IT SEEMS NOW...

I also remember those days. I think at this point the rare occasion I scan something it's not even an extra charge, just built into our minimum charge.

Coincidentally I fired up the scanner today but it was for the usual reason - to scan some old artwork as FPO and just rebuild it in Indy.

Scanners:

(I'd post the "good" pic but Joe would bludgeon me with his banhammer.)
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

pspdfppdfxhd

Scanner operators had a higher than average incidence of substance abuse issues I think.

Now they're gone and we're still here. (though happily carrying the tradition of substance abuse).

G_Town

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on August 24, 2010, 07:46:25 PM
Quote from: pspdfppdfx on August 24, 2010, 07:40:58 PMWe actually had a full time person that ran our AGFA T5000 scanner for about 6 hours a day for about 4 years. We were charging about 40 bucks for an 8.5 x 11 scan for roster books and I guarantee that scanner was paid off for in about 1 year...even though it cost about 40,000 dollars.

Anyway, that was A LONG TIME AGO SO IT SEEMS NOW...

Those days are long over. I used to be THAT guy once.

Word I ran a screen 308 for about 2 years, learned a lot about color.

tapdn

I ran a drum scanner for a couple of years too. Mostly I just talked to support in NY and replaced parts. Think I did more troubleshooting than scanning!
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

G_Town

Quote from: tapdn on August 30, 2010, 03:14:32 PMI ran a drum scanner for a couple of years too. Mostly I just talked to support in NY and replaced parts. Think I did more troubleshooting than scanning!

We did horticultural work, had a large library of old ass transparencies that had gone all brown, try making green grass outta that.

tapdn

no way.
Most of ours featured Cat equipment. Once you got the cmyk set for Cat yellow, you were good to go ... well, except for the rusted ones. :death:
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
~Farabomb

gnubler

Quote from: G_Town on August 31, 2010, 10:10:34 AMhad a large library of old ass transparencies that had gone all brown

Ewwww! What kind of shop was this? Was it for medical research?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Captain_Type

Quote from: G_Town on August 31, 2010, 10:10:34 AMhad a large library of old ass transparencies that had gone all brown and wrinkled

Fixed
Esko Automation Engine 23
ArtPro+ 23
Javelin Imagesetter

tapdn

Quote from: Captain_Type on August 31, 2010, 11:22:59 AM
Quote from: G_Town on August 31, 2010, 10:10:34 AMhad a large library of old ass transparencies that had gone all brown and puckered

Fixed
fixeded
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
~Youston
~Farabomb

gnubler

You're not that old, are you Tap? Probably only 15 or 16 by now, right?

tapdn

I'll be 13 in December...  :tongue:
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
~Youston
~Farabomb