The platesetter I'm currently using

Started by madbugger, May 15, 2023, 02:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy

madbugger

Quote from: David on May 18, 2023, 02:47:17 PMoh my god yes, I forgot to mention that this place had no air conditioning, I'm in Texas, it was summer.

:grimreaper:

That soup on the floor would have been something else. 
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.
— Madbugger

Some people say you gotta die some day, I got news, you never gotta go
— Ted Nugent

born2print

I'm old enough to have had the pleasure of cleaning LITHO film processors. Racks 4x as big and nastier / harder to clean, in fact - rapid access etc... barely even counts compared to litho IMO  :P
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

David

did you have the one with the crane to lift the racks out cause they were so big and heavy?
we did for a while, forgot the name.

when I was tray developing, no one had processors around us, one guy down the street built one and patented it, then sold the patent. Not sure who ended up with it.

But yeah, a few years later I was knee deep in film processors, livin' la vida loca
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: born2print on May 18, 2023, 03:11:52 PMI'm old enough to have had the pleasure of cleaning LITHO film processors. Racks 4x as big and nastier / harder to clean, in fact - rapid access etc... barely even counts compared to litho IMO  :P
Quote from: David on May 18, 2023, 03:38:54 PMdid you have the one with the crane to lift the racks out cause they were so big and heavy?

when I was tray developing, no one had processors around us, one guy down the street built one and patented it, then sold the patent. Not sure who ended up with it.

But yeah, a few years later I was knee deep in film processors, livin' la vida loca
Yeah we had one with the crane to lift out the racks because two grown men could not lift them out. Always had to replace gears, rollers, springs etc...while cleaning and the job always had to be done on second shift because the deadbeat prima donnas on day shift were too busy to do it. They probably would have f#&%ed it up anyway. I'd rather be shredded with razor blades in dipped in alcohol than to clean one of those again.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

did you guys get to play with any silver recovery stuff?

you don't know what stink is until you do

We had a setup that we would send off a batch, get it processed, and they would send us back a bar of silver.

Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: David on May 18, 2023, 04:23:45 PMdid you guys get to play with any silver recovery stuff?

We had a setup that we would send off a batch, get it processed, and they would send us back a bar of silver.
Yeah silver recovery was a big thing. I think the company just got cash. This was World Color. Later bought by Quebecor and became Quebecor World. Later bought by Quad. Which also I think ended up buying your old place. It is like 6 degrees of David and Joe. Another interesting fact. My middle name is David.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Possum

We just sold our old negs to some place that recovered silver.

Cubitainers? Yeah, and we had a few dirty spouts from them just laying around.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

David

Quote from: Joe on May 18, 2023, 05:25:23 PMIt is like 6 degrees of David and Joe. Another interesting fact. My middle name is David.
That is so weird, my middle name is Joe.

Not

:lmao:
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

Quote from: David on May 18, 2023, 03:38:54 PMdid you have the one with the crane to lift the racks out cause they were so big and heavy?

Our Agfa44 OLP had that, but not because of depth, it was a girth issue :)

born2print

Quote from: David on May 18, 2023, 04:23:45 PMdid you guys get to play with any silver recovery stuff?

Yup! We did that forever... until the laws made it as if you were a haz mat processing facility instead of a print shop that is helping the environment.

born2print

Quote from: Possum on May 18, 2023, 06:17:36 PMWe just sold our old negs to some place that recovered silver.

Right, we did that too, the recovery that we did ourselves was from the processor chem

madbugger

first place i worked at sold film and fixer for silver recovery.  
second place was a trade house, so we had very little waste film, not worth the effort.
third place ( current ) sold film early on, but silver was worth very little back then and again, hardly worth the effort. went ctp about 15 yrs ago so no more film.
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.
— Madbugger

Some people say you gotta die some day, I got news, you never gotta go
— Ted Nugent

Tracy

When I worked at the Newspaper we cleaned processors everyday!!
back then everything went down the drain  ;D
black lacquer anyone?

Possum

How about the yellow sludge at the bottom of the fixer compartment of a phototypesetting processor? A co-worker said it looked like baby poop. Except she didn't use the word poop.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.