Barcode question

Started by motormount, July 08, 2017, 03:29:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motormount

The client sent me an .xlxs file with 2 rows.

First row is made of  24digit numbers: ''000000089861000000000001'', second row with 128code title is like this: ''ΝΟΟΟ(Ζ]ΟΟΟΟΟ!nΞ''

When i apply a barcode font to the 2nd row entries in print shop mail, i get a pdf with barcodes which the barcode scanner doesn't read.

It understands that the code encoding i applied is 128 but no numbers are displayed.

So i duplicate the 24digit row and apply a 128code font and it reads just fine, but i don't understant why i was supplied the row with the ''strange'' characters...

Could there be additional information there, or it's enough when the barcode scanner displays the numbers below the barcode?

Thanks in advance!!!

pabney

It is entirely possible. Code 128 barcodes can be much more complicated than most think. Take a look here http://www.idautomation.com/barcode-faq/code-128/ until you know what implementation the barcode is for, you will not be able to create a usable barcode.
My best GUESS for the second column is they used an excel plug in to create the barcode data, but without the corresponding font to that  particular plugin it would not work.

mwc

unlike code-39, code-128 requires checksums to be read properly...just using the 128 font with raw data is not enough, the data must be manipulated (via code creation tools/programs).
-Is that 2nd row the actual name/title or is it the encoded code that should work with the font...OR you recoding an already coded code (as in, does printshop mail do the encoding for barcodes?)
-what does the custy expect from what was supplied, as in "what the hell is the 2nd row for?"