What have you got?

Started by delooch, September 21, 2009, 10:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

Quote from: youston on September 22, 2009, 03:12:03 PM
Quote from: Stiv on September 22, 2009, 02:46:49 PMWe have a lot of jobs that spot varnish. Is this done off-line on another press or do the digital presses have a similar option?

The NexPress has a fifth imaging unit that can apply a clear toner, either as a spot or a flood. It's decent. Dunno about an Indigo or an iGen. Or much of anything else, for that matter.
Indigo has what they call a Matte Ink, it runs on one of the 5th or 6th heads but only provides an overall effect, it doesn't act as any sort of protection like an AQ would. I'm not even sure we've ever tried it honestly.

Chilbear: Are you guys doing an offline coating? I know there are several standalone units, I'd be curious to hear if you've had success (or failure) with any of them.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Possum

Got a Xerox 700. It would probably work better if we had the right software for the computer that's supposed to be running it, and if it wasn't in a corner where the air conditioning can't reach and the roof leaks. Other than that...
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

DigitalCrapShoveler

We got a copy machine. I refuse to acknowledge these pieces of shit as valid presses. WE ARE NOT KINKOS!!!! I spend more time jacking with these files as I do for the good paying sheet fed jobs. Problem is.... we make NOTHING. Quit buying this crap so we don't have to work on them. I HATE THEM!

That is all. Please continue with your regular programming.
Member #285 - Civilian

Chilbear

Quote from: Slappy on September 25, 2009, 07:57:10 AMChilbear: Are you guys doing an offline coating? I know there are several standalone units, I'd be curious to hear if you've had success (or failure) with any of them.
Yes using a SM52 for AQ. We also used the Heidy PM46 2 colour using Varnish but never a standalone unit.

Slappy

Interesting, we've got a little Hamada 46 here and a 1-color Heidelberg that could handle the job I'd bet. What are you finding adheres to the Indigo inks well?
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Chilbear

The AQ method is the best as the varnish takes long time to dry. Digital = short run. Any 1/c  would do the trick and stack it up at day's end and bang them off.  Tomorrow they will be dry. You could try and hack an old press to run AQ and fix a UV or IR light on the delivery if you do lots.

pa_rider99

We have 9 Xeikon digital presses, HP Indigo, IBM 4000, and a brand new Kodak high speed inkjet for full color. Two many presses but man the salesmen dont stop.

frailer

There've been vague mutterings about getting one, now that we have XMF, (APPE), RIP. If we were to feed one, would we have to get a TIFF-IT Output to do it? XMF's multi-workflows and on-board imposition certainly are up to it, at the front-end. It's the ouput and subsequent coating etc. that are a mystery to me at this stage.
Yours sounds like quite a line-up, pa_rider99. Welcome to the forum, too.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

PrepressCrapFixer

We have a HP W3250 Indigo.  It's a web press that has 2 complete print engines between them.  We also have an in line sheeter and stacker.  It's been more of a pain in the ass in my opinion.  Just like DCS I find that there usually is a lot more jacking around with files than with offset stuff.
macOSX 12.7 Monterey • Prinergy 10 • Adobe Creative Cloud 2022 • Q800 Trendsetter w/ MCU • Epson Sure Color P7000

Adriano

Quote from: youston on September 22, 2009, 12:50:04 PMWe have a NexPress 2500. Troubleshooting image quality issues is a bitch (and sometimes an EXPENSIVE bitch).

When it's running (and I type this 5 minutes after it blew an air hose), it's an awesome beast.

When it's running.

We have 2 NexPress 2100
Same shite as 2500, only older
But when they work they are OK
Our operators must waste hours every day for maintenace
 :puke: :puke: :puke2:
Still not drinking. Never been better

t-pat

We have 1 Xerox X700, tomorrow we'll have 2 of them. Yeah, it's a copier. Unlike a press, it's made of sheet metal and plastic bits. Presses run like something engineered like a locomotive. Copiers run like something engineered like a child's toy. Either way, we kill some trees and get some money.

I guess we make money with them though, someone wants short run and/or variable data, we do it and charge for it. If we're mailing it, we make a bit more.  Personally I don't find a lot of extra work in prepping files for it, other than I get to set up variable work which to me seems like good experience.

We feed it 300dpi tiffs out of Evo, don't even screw around with anything else. It likes them.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Stiv

Does anyone have any PDF manuals for Xerox FreeFlow?

PM me, thanks.

Rabid

We have a Xerox 5000. They were going to drop and Igen in here but we don't do the volume. Looks like we might upgrade to an 8002. The toner looks more like offset. With any luck we will get the Saddle stitch unit too.
We aren't stealing too much press work for our digital work.

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Stiv

Quote from: david on January 06, 2010, 03:45:48 PMfound this with a google search, does it help?

Found a User Guide after plodding through a ton of Xerox stuff.  :cool: