Variable Image Software

Started by Slappy, November 12, 2009, 09:55:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninjaPB_43

Ok, I haven't used it firsthand, I just know our data guys use it.
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Slappy

happ: I'm messing around with the demo, and I've got a database of 250 names I'm using. It's all first names in a field "Salutation" and then a numbered field in ascending order. I've managed to get it to generate a folder of images based on the Salutation field, but it's naming & ordering them randomly. Like this:

DSM_933452000.JPG
DSM_933728000.JPG
DSM_934160000.JPG
DSM_934248000.JPG

When I open the resulting images, they're not in order from the beginning of the Records list. How do I specify that it name the images? Preferably something like <SequenceNumber>+<Salutation> so I can import them to our layout application.

Crazy stuff, that's for sure.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

pmhapp

I'm not sure/don't know how to change the filename convention.
What is your Layout app?
If InDesign, DirectSmile comes with a "bridge".

Slappy

Yeah, I was trying to use the Creator Pro, which is simply the image creation tool. Does the "bridge" app give you control over the naming conventions, or do you even have to worry about it? I'm told we're 99% likely to not buy this right now, it's still almost $5000 for just that portion, and honestly - we don't do that kind of work/volume enough to justify it right now. (How much of this do you guys run, if I can ask?)

I might go back & mess around with it a little more until the demo expires, it's definitely a cool little app.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

pspdfppdfxhd

We're using printshop mail, just getting into it, so far so good. I heard it won the vdp software of the year award or something. It's at least 5 grand though.

We're doing numbering with it which is working well (1up pdf with variable numbers 0001, 0002, whatever) then the Konica will step and repeat with a cut and stack impo. One thing we're having trouble with is figuring out how to print ncr. I mean a 2 or 3 part job.... instead of 0001, 0002 etc. we need something like 0001, 0001, 0001, 0002, 0002, 0002. Anybody else into this?

pspdfppdfxhd

HOT DAMN, FIGURED THIS OUT. Its gonna be nice to do ncr's this way. And all of our other numbering jobs we do here. You can just use 1up pdfs and sort out the imposition at the printer. It's great to be learning something new again actually.

pmhapp

Quote from: Slappy on November 17, 2009, 10:20:49 AMYeah, I was trying to use the Creator Pro, which is simply the image creation tool. Does the "bridge" app give you control over the naming conventions, or do you even have to worry about it? I'm told we're 99% likely to not buy this right now, it's still almost $5000 for just that portion, and honestly - we don't do that kind of work/volume enough to justify it right now. (How much of this do you guys run, if I can ask?)

I might go back & mess around with it a little more until the demo expires, it's definitely a cool little app.

I was looking through the documentation, and there is a plugin you can buy that will name the rendered filename in the format that you like.  I don't worry about it though.  In either the Bridge, or we use FusionPro, you just call out the field, and it puts the right image in the placeholder.  We just bought DirectSmile, so I'm still getting fluid with it.  I've been working on setting up a recurring job.  That should go live this week.  And then our Sales guys will push it pretty heavily I would assume.

Slappy

Our prospective project took a giant shit, so no new software being purchased. Typical. :rolleyes:

youston

Quote from: Slappy on November 24, 2009, 01:55:08 PMOur prospective project took a giant shit, so no new software being purchased. Typical. :rolleyes:

I just found out that a prospective job for a client that involved me taking a pencil to paper for 7 HOURS just to figure out how we were going to do it, was cancelled after 30 hours of development/testing.

:banghead:

David

what is this pencil and paper you speak of?

is it a new app for your iPhone?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

youston

Quote from: david on November 24, 2009, 02:43:00 PMwhat is this pencil and paper you speak of?

is it a new app for your iPhone?

Take a stick of graphite and wrap it in a beveled, wooden tube. Grind one end until it's sharp enough to puncture skin. Then, brush it against some sort of fibrous substance made of wood pulp to make 'letters' and 'numbers.'

Don't screw up, though ... haven't found a way to make the marks go away.

And no iPhone here. Perhaps if they offered it on a decent carrier ...

DigitalCrapShoveler

Youston, do you mind if I print out your last tutorial on that graphite tube thingy? My kids will never believe me.... have you marketed this yet? This could be huge! Man, I wish I was you... could I get in on some of this?
Member #285 - Civilian

youston

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on November 24, 2009, 02:55:51 PMYouston, do you mind if I print out your last tutorial on that graphite tube thingy? My kids will never believe me.... have you marketed this yet? This could be huge! Man, I wish I was you... could I get in on some of this?

Hands off, DCS!  :angry:

This one is mine, ALL MINE! :diabolical laugh:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Oh well, don't blame a guy for trying. I think this could revolutionize the world as we know it... and NOT like that Segway thing.
Member #285 - Civilian

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca