News:

Main Menu

.PSF ????

Started by ratintrap, July 23, 2008, 07:27:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ratintrap

Someone just sent us a "photo" here at the newspaper, they said "here is a photo I lightened, I think." The file that was attached to the email was a .PSF file, I looked online to see what that type of file it is and it appears to be some kind of settings file for Photoshop. I can't quite figure out how someone could accidentally send a settings file like this.

Am I correct about what type of file this is? The results from the search I did online were not totally clear.

I guess I will have to have them send the original JPG.

-Rat

DigitalCrapShoveler

You know Rat, it sounds to me like the guy sending the file is using an extension, without even knowing what it is. PSF, probably to him... Photoshop File. You can try changing the extension to any of the other formats, ie; .jpg, .tif, .psd... you get the point. And attempt to redrop into PS, if it can even be opened?!? :huh:

What's the file size? That would definitely be an indication it was a settings file.
Member #285 - Civilian

almaink

OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: almaink on July 23, 2008, 07:34:09 AMNope it's a legit Photoshop file format.
http://www.convert-extensions.com/format/PSF-Photoshop-Proof-Setup.html
http://filext.com/file-extension/PSF

Never heard of it... Alma, has this been around? I am not really finding a whole lot on it.
Member #285 - Civilian

almaink

It saves the file with color management. It's for soft proofing. Adobe doesn't have much info on it tho.
I did find this-
http://www.udevelop.com/pages/softproof.htm
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110

ratintrap

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on July 23, 2008, 07:32:19 AMWhat's the file size? That would definitely be an indication it was a settings file.

The file size is 72kb, I am using Photoshop 7, I was able to open the file, I got a dialog box that I had never seen before and a dialog box about rasterizing, when the file opened before it was a bunch of garbled crap.

Is this a file that can only be opened with a newer version of Photoshop? At 72k it can't be anything worth using I would think.

-Rat

almaink

LOL I think what you need to do is read the link I posted about how to open a PSF file.
Here it is again
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: almaink on July 23, 2008, 08:12:17 AMLOL I think what you need to do is read the link I posted about how to open a PSF file.
Here it is again

Thanks man, glad for the info. I have never ran into this format, so glad I have the tools to fight it now. Much appreciated!
Member #285 - Civilian

beermonster

strange - the info i found is that psf is postscript font info
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

ratintrap

Quote from: beermonster on July 23, 2008, 08:43:15 AMstrange - the info i found is that psf is postscript font info

Yeah, the info online is somewhat unclear.

Alma, I followed the directions on the webpage you posted the link to and got the following error:

QuoteCould not load the proof setup because the file is not compatible with this version of Photoshop.

We use older software (not my choice).

It still appears to me that the file is just a settings file and not an actual image.

-Rat

DigitalCrapShoveler

Did you try physically changing the extention to something else?
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: ratintrap on July 23, 2008, 10:01:49 AM
Quote from: beermonster on July 23, 2008, 08:43:15 AMstrange - the info i found is that psf is postscript font info

Yeah, the info online is somewhat unclear.

Alma, I followed the directions on the webpage you posted the link to and got the following error:

QuoteCould not load the proof setup because the file is not compatible with this version of Photoshop.

We use older software (not my choice).

It still appears to me that the file is just a settings file and not an actual image.

-Rat

Attach it here and I can open in CS3 and resave as jpeg or tiff or whatever you want.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

ratintrap

Quote from: Joe on July 23, 2008, 10:20:13 AMAttach it here and I can open in CS3 and resave as jpeg or tiff or whatever you want.

Thanks Joe, that is very generous of you. We prefer TIFFs so a TIF would be great.

-Rat

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: ratintrap on July 23, 2008, 10:31:22 AM
Quote from: Joe on July 23, 2008, 10:20:13 AMAttach it here and I can open in CS3 and resave as jpeg or tiff or whatever you want.

Thanks Joe, that is very generous of you. We prefer TIFFs so a TIF would be great.

-Rat

Rat, I just downloaded it, changed the extention to .jpg, and it opened right up. I see this ALL the time!
Member #285 - Civilian

ratintrap

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on July 23, 2008, 10:40:44 AMRat, I just downloaded it, changed the extention to .jpg, and it opened right up. I see this ALL the time!

I hadn't had a chance to do that yet. I have seen similar things too but they usually involved the file not having an extension at all, adding JPG usually fixed it, I've never had a file that had the incorrect extension like this one did though.

-Rat