A new one on me...

Started by determined, April 08, 2009, 10:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

determined

Quote from: Joe on April 08, 2009, 04:20:27 PM
Quote from: determined on April 08, 2009, 03:29:26 PMIs there any other way to reduce the size of my images? As soon as I open them in PS, they grow by leaps and bounds. If I don't open them, they're alot smaller but still not small enough to post....HELP?   :shocked:

As it looks like you've discovered, PNG files seem to work good.

I made up a new file exactly as your channels show and I get the same error in InDesign. I think InDesign does not like having two channels named "Black" or it does not like having a spot channel named "Black". When I renamed the spot channel named "Black" to "Pantone Black C", InDesign imports it without any issues.

Edit: Beermonster just beat me to the punch! :laugh:

OK, I assigned the spot black channel to the process black channel, went to place the psd in indd, and this is what I get....oh and I also deleted the spot K channel
Murphy must have been in printing....

determined

Quote from: Earendil on April 08, 2009, 03:48:16 PMVery strange. InDesign lets me place duotone, saved as PSD with no problems.  :huh: What happens if you ignore the warning, place the Duo PSD, export and RIP? Live on the edge, that's what I say.  :wink: Of course, I didn't walk for the last 2 months because of that philosophy. :rolleyes:

Oh it's not a duotone, it's a multichannel psd document (that was in CMYK mode originally)

determined

OK, the plot thickens...when I made the spot K channel PANTONE Process Black, it will import into Indd, but NOT if I assign the spot K channel into the process K channel....   :huh:

good to know anyways...

David

Indesign doesn't like multi channel .psd files.

Save it as a cmyk (with the 5th channel) as a .psd and it should import fine.

or am I missing something?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

determined

Quote from: david on April 09, 2009, 08:45:09 AMIndesign doesn't like multi channel .psd files.

Save it as a cmyk (with the 5th channel) as a .psd and it should import fine.

or am I missing something?

Yeah, that seems to work, my problem was that after I applied the spot K channel to the process K channel, it wasn't viewing correctly, so I (stupidly) deleted the CMY channels so I could move the spot red channel above the K channel and by doing this, PS automatically converts it to a multichannel....my bad   :sad:

Oh but one more question, will INDD still recognize the spot since it's saved as CMYK mode?

determined

But it still seems to me that PS should NOT be saving that DCS file the way it's viewing...did you see that? (the #2 example)

David

yeah, it's like it putting something else on that channel, or seriously distorting the image on that channel.
Have you tried creating a new blank file and copying and pasting the images on the two channels, then repeat the steps to see if you can replicate the problem?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

beermonster

do your changes, save as, overwrite see if that works

or

save as new name

you dont need dcs files anymore
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

determined

Quote from: beermonster on April 09, 2009, 09:24:55 AMdo your changes, save as, overwrite see if that works

or

save as new name

you dont need dcs files anymore

I did do a save as (after changes)....something about multichannel and DCS that PS just doesn't like...

and now I see that I don't need the DCS anymore (as long as I play by the rules...)

But I still have a lot more playing around to do with this....   :banghead:

beermonster

yeah deleting the cmy chanels caused it - to get it straight i'd make new document, like david i think said, copy paste and recreate it - takes little time, then overwrite or bin the multichannel thing

then you will be all square and ready to rock
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

determined

It seems to be OK as long as it's in CMYK mode (but you MUST have either the spot K in a process K channel OR change the spot K name to something other than "Black". My question is will it still rip OK since it's in CMYK mode? I will check into this, also.

determined

sure enough, all is fine with the rip....but I still want to know WHY that file viewed that way!!!   :banghead:

Joe

I don't know why it viewed that way. It just looks like PS was confused somewhere along the path. Can you recreate it again to display the same way. If so then your answer is in there somewhere. If not, mystery of the universe. :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

determined

Oh I've done it several times and everytime, I get the same result....

Joe

Quote from: determined on April 09, 2009, 08:39:12 AMOK, the plot thickens...when I made the spot K channel PANTONE Process Black, it will import into Indd, but NOT if I assign the spot K channel into the process K channel....   :huh:

good to know anyways...

How exactly are you "assigning" the spot K channel into the process K channel? I did it by copy and paste and it worked okay. However you are doing it appears to be corrupting the "Black" channel.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.