Adjusting skin tone of one image to match another

Started by Lumpy, June 03, 2009, 01:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumpy

Alright here goes,
I got this job with several photos of a person working out, the same person different skin tones from one photo to the next. How do I go about fixing this?
I obviously can't apply a curve to them without affecting everything else.
Any help would be appreciated.
Son you better watch your back when a poor man gets the blues.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Take a sampling of the brightest highlight in a color-correct photo... write down the CMYK value. Now, using levels or curves, and the "info" palette set to CMYK, adjust the remaining images to have the same numbers from the same source. You might have to fudge a little, but it will work.
Member #285 - Civilian

Lumpy

Yeah, I was doing that except the person in the photos is wearing, of all things a grey work-out uniform. Will it still work? I was working on it waaaay too long today.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Lumpy on June 03, 2009, 02:02:47 PMYeah, I was doing that except the person in the photos is wearing, of all things a grey work-out uniform. Will it still work? I was working on it waaaay too long today.

Use the above technique, but use it on the gray areas of the uniform instead of the skin tones. I often use gray as balance B4 adjusting anything else. You are going to have to really watch your numbers, skin tones and gray are hard to do.
Member #285 - Civilian

Lumpy

born2print

you may need to isolate the skin areas with a mask, may take a minute, but you'll only move what's in the mask.
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

Ear

One thing that helps me when doing this is to use the color sample eyedropper. You can place fixed eyedropper targets on specific areas, (face, uniform, background, etc...) so you can keep an eye on each area of interest without having to mess with the eyedropper constantly. Once you click a target, it will display in the info pallet... if you do 4 sample targets, it will divide the info pallet into 4 regions, each representing it's own target. This way, you can adjust while keeping an eye on many different areas simultaneously.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigitalCrapShoveler

Depends on the lighting, which is causing the color shift between pictures. It sounds like all of them are just out of balance.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

born2print

Nice tip yourself DCS, grey balance is often overlooked nowadays when it's actually so important.
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

Lumpy

I'm looking for the best way, so ya think that would be faster than curves or a push? I realize its kind of hard to say without seeing the photos.

Lumpy

I'll post some snapshots tomorrow morning to show what I'm working with.

Ear

Indeed, DCS, gray balance is very important and the best place to start in order to establish a baseline. After that, curves and maybe some selective color, IMO.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Lumpy on June 03, 2009, 02:14:53 PMI'm looking for the best way, so ya think that would be faster than curves or a push? I realize its kind of hard to say without seeing the photos.

Everyone has their own technique for adjusting color. The trick is to be consistent and be patient. Use the history palette, and don't be afraid to try new things. Selective color is AWESOME for specialized color correction as well as Color Balance, Levels and Curves. The "best way" isn't the answer, the BEST WAY for YOU is. Everyone sees color different. You will need to do some experimenting and testing to find a suitable method, and each method is totally job and even image specific.

Thanks Born. If your Grays are off, the whole damn image is off... IMO.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian