20 years of Photoshop

Started by jezza, February 02, 2010, 08:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jezza

Volume of work is how we got ROI. The damn things were so expensive very few people had them. Ours was a Linotype-Hell RIP 50 connected to a 630 I think... huge hardwear RIP and I know of at least two that's still running a film setter.

Overnight plotting was fricking nightmare. Heaven help the proof readers if they'd missed somehing and we'd have to start stripping stuff in...

Middle picture just bought it all back

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.a-1enterprises.com/images/fm_100_0710.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.a-1enterprises.com/photo.php%3Fid%3D757&usg=__Djm7MfBX5z4TqvpO1TJUXIUi0jw=&h=450&w=600&sz=55&hl=en&start=17&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=NTfhQd-odh98wM:&tbnh=101&tbnw=135&prev=/images%3Fq%3DLinotype-Hell%2BRIP%2B50%2Bpicture%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DX%26um%3D1
one sick prepress mofo

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on February 03, 2010, 07:48:08 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 03, 2010, 07:01:41 PMRemember Image and Color Studio G? How 'bout Photoshop 1? Those were the days, eh? Back when apps came on 2 or 3 floppies instead of 15 dual-layer DVDs.

YOU are the first prepress person I have ever heard mention Color Studio. You were just made member #1 in Joe's prepress Hall of Fame. Every time I mention Color Studio from the old Mac LC from around 1988 - 1992 everyone gives me the "deer in the headlights" look.

Man, I used to freehand draw in that glorified color version of ImageStudio!  It is what got me into computers to begin with. I was enamored with it. I also liked PixelPaint. Remember that one! I love the old nostalgic apps, it reminds me of how far we've come, and far we got to go. Hahahahahah!

I used to build 4 color ads for Auto Trader on a Se-30. Those were good times. It's amazing I even have vision, let alone patience. By today's standards, we lived in the dark ages.

I miss you. :kiss: :kiss:

And Captain, I would reply, but I have no idea what you said. I kid. :laugh:
Member #285 - Civilian

frailer

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 03, 2010, 11:04:11 PMAnd Captain, I would reply, but I have no idea what you said. I kid. :laugh:

Insert emoticon with lower lip pout.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

beck

You got me thinking about our first purchases, when setting up our company's Mac Department.  I dug out the quote from October, 1995.

Agfa Horizon Scanner - $16,054.00 (it could handle about a 11" x 17" original)
Mac 9500 Workstation, 80 mb RAM, 2 gb Hard Drive, Tape Backup, 200 mb Syquest drive, 20" monitor, - $14, 844.00
Software - Quark, Illustrator, Photoshop, Freehand, Retrospect, Norton, Suitcase - $2,416.00
   I'm pretty sure it was Quark 3, Illustrator 5, Photoshop 3 (and who cares about Freehand  :evil:)
Accel-a-Writer laser printer w/ (2) paper trays - $7,395.00
3M Rainbow proofer - $17,223.00
Agfa 200 Typeface Subscription - $2,703.00
Agfa Avantra 25 imagesetter w/ inline processor - $68,520.00
Mac 8500 RIP station, 72 mb RAM, 1gb Hard Drive, 17" monitor - $8,189.00

Submitted for your review.

beck
Nevertheless....beck has hit the proverbial nail on the head.
Joe

tapdn

$137,354.00 and it's all junk now.  :rolleyes:
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

beck

I remember throwing the scanner and the Rainbow proofer into the dumpster vividly.  Schools didn't even want them for free.
Joe

tapdn

Can relate, Beck. We were able to sell our old drum scanner which only imaged to film, didn't even have a digital out connector, to some idiot other company. We still have our 20x24 Screen stat camera if anybody's in the market.  :laugh:
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
~Farabomb

jimking

We just sold our 40" 6 unit miller press for $10,000, it is on its way to Brazil . We bought it 8 years ago for $400,000.  :laugh:

beck

When we updated from the Avantra to a Dolev imagesetter, I think we only got about $5 to 10K for it.  And it was in mint condition, only about 2 years old.
Joe

Skryber

I hope we learned our lesson buying used equipment.

At Jerry's shop they bought a used die cutter. I can't remember what they paid for it but they put double that amount into it to get it running and it still doesn't run. Whoever sent it wrote on the machine "good luck" in the dust with their finger. That should've been a clue. So now they bought a brand new one, spent less and it's the best out there.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Captain_Type

It was personally painful to me to throw away all that work film, representing years worth of man-hours of stripping, camera work, scanning, typesetting, etc., and containing many, many pounds of silver. However, it would all need to have been pulled off of ruby/amberlith/mylar, or that yellow/orange paper with the grid printed on it whose name escapes me. This would have led to carpal tunnel syndrome, and not really that much monetary compensation to show for it, as the film was relatively low in silver content.

Makes you yearn for the good old days...sending the "new monk" in the next stall out for some 10 point rubric ink...or tricking him into illustrating the assassination of Thomas Becket on entirely the wrong folio.  :grin:
Esko Automation Engine 23
ArtPro+ 23
Javelin Imagesetter

beck

Quote from: Captain_Type on February 04, 2010, 11:04:33 AMIt was personally painful to me to throw away all that work film, representing years worth of man-hours of stripping, camera work, scanning, typesetting, etc., and containing many, many pounds of silver. However, it would all need to have been pulled off of ruby/amberlith/mylar, or that yellow/orange paper with the grid printed on it whose name escapes me. This would have led to carpal tunnel syndrome, and not really that much monetary compensation to show for it, as the film was relatively low in silver content.

Makes you yearn for the good old days...sending the "new monk" in the next stall out for some 10 point rubric ink...or tricking him into illustrating the assassination of Thomas Becket on entirely the wrong folio.  :grin:

Goldenrod?  I think that's what we called it in High School.
Joe

tapdn

yep... goldenrod or masking sheets we called 'em.
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
~Youston
~Farabomb

youston

Quote from: tapdn on February 04, 2010, 11:21:25 AMyep... goldenrod or masking sheets we called 'em.

Tapd would be the one who knows, having been Gutenberg's* apprentice and all.

*Steve Gutenberg, of course.

tapdn

He was the apprentice Grasshopper and you could learn some things from the Master too!  :wink:
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
~Youston
~Farabomb