20 years of Photoshop

Started by jezza, February 02, 2010, 08:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain_Type

Ahh, yes, that's right...goldenrod. Thanks.
Esko Automation Engine 23
ArtPro+ 23
Javelin Imagesetter

frailer

Quote from: tapdn on February 04, 2010, 09:21:16 AMWe still have our 20x24 Screen stat camera if anybody's in the market.  :laugh:

Ours went with a metal recycler a few years ago. Should have sat it out the front of the printery as a 'piece'. Like one of those old steam hammers, or such like, you see at engineering companies.   :laugh:   
Long afternoons shooting line art and half-tones, listening to the radio. Did I really do that?   :undecided:

QuoteMac 9500 Workstation, 80 mb RAM, 2 gb Hard Drive, Tape Backup, 200 mb Syquest drive, 20" monitor, - $14, 844.00
Now I'm reminded why I couldn't do Mac training at home in the absence of work-installed stuff.   :rolleyes: 
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

jezza

I'm sure i've said it before, but one of my happiest days was throwing any kind of syquest shite after we'd retrieved what we could, straight out the 1st floor window into the skip below.

Every time I think about it... I smile
one sick prepress mofo

Syphon

Color Studio? PixelPaint?
God, I'm older than DCS and don't remember those apps.
I guess I was spending too much over the light table and pulling film out of the big old film processor.

So, do we all get Feb. 10th off to celebrate? Is there going to be cake?  :grin:
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

jezza

If you can make it to London, I'll be more than happy to buy you a beer
one sick prepress mofo

frailer

Safe offer!    :laugh:  Speaking of beers, was in Melbourne last week, and had some Trumer on tap at the small hotel we stayed. It was sensational.
Looking for the bottled version this afternoon.   :grin:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: Syphon on February 04, 2010, 06:55:50 PMColor Studio? PixelPaint?
God, I'm older than DCS and don't remember those apps.
I guess I was spending too much over the light table and pulling film out of the big old film processor.

So, do we all get Feb. 10th off to celebrate? Is there going to be cake?  :grin:

Yeah, but DCS started doing prepress 9 months after being conceived. :laugh:

I was going to say he started prepress while still in diapers but I've been told he still wears them to this day.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

jezza

Oh Joe, you were so nearly right...

DCS started prepress

LOL
one sick prepress mofo

hotmetal

Quote from: jezza on February 04, 2010, 07:25:50 PMOh Joe, you were so nearly right...

DCS started prepress

LOL

And I suspect that through sheer orneriness and extreme force of will, DCS will be the one turning out the lights as he walks out the door behind the rest of us...
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

hotmetal

Ok, here's a basic question of When Did You Start Doing This Shit:  What year did you first stick a client's Mac disk into a Mac, open a file on that disk, and, whether or not you had to do anything to the file first, send the job to an imagesetter for film or RC paper output?

That was 1988 for me, working at Pastore DePamphilis Rampone, NYC. I'd already been setting type on non-Mac computer systems for 10 years by that point.
Hunter S. Thompson

DigitalCrapShoveler

Awww shucks guys, this ain't the last episode of Cheers. I did the stripping gig too. I've been doing this awhile, but Tap is 60 freakin' years old. He makes Joe look young, and believe me, that is goddamn amazing!

I just got into Prep at just the right time. Analog was still thriving, and digital was being introduced, but not really taken seriously. Those were good times.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigitalCrapShoveler

I actually did the analog stuff before getting into Macs, that was 1990. I started scanning cars for Auto Trader in 91-92.
Member #285 - Civilian

hotmetal

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 04, 2010, 08:23:31 PMI actually did the analog stuff before getting into Macs, that was 1990. I started scanning cars for Auto Trader in 91-92.

Um, guess I need to hunt down the last episode of Cheers and see what I'm going on about? (I avoid much discussion of television shows 'cause I've been stuck on 2nd shift for so long... though I've never felt like I was missing much... )
Hunter S. Thompson

Joe

Quote from: hotmetal on February 04, 2010, 08:15:49 PMOk, here's a basic question of When Did You Start Doing This Shit:  What year did you first stick a client's Mac disk into a Mac, open a file on that disk, and, whether or not you had to do anything to the file first, send the job to an imagesetter for film or RC paper output?

That was 1988 for me, working at Pastore DePamphilis Rampone, NYC. I'd already been setting type on non-Mac computer systems for 10 years by that point.

Hmmmm....first Mac was when they brought one in to integrate with the Hell Chromacom system about 1990 to join it up with the desktop publishing side of things. What an archaic piece of crap that was. Hell had a plugin for Quark that would record every step made in Quark. You then imported it over to the chromacom side and could run the script on the Combiscope and completely rebuild the job on it. Mainly used it for doing Glad Bag boxes. Of course the script never ran correctly so you spent a couple of days trying to edit it so it would work correctly...in a text editor that makes Microsoft Word look like rocket science. Started on the Hell Chromacom system around 1985-86 which was the first computer experience I had in prepress.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: hotmetal on February 04, 2010, 08:27:05 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 04, 2010, 08:23:31 PMI actually did the analog stuff before getting into Macs, that was 1990. I started scanning cars for Auto Trader in 91-92.

Um, guess I need to hunt down the last episode of Cheers and see what I'm going on about? (I avoid much discussion of television shows 'cause I've been stuck on 2nd shift for so long... though I've never felt like I was missing much... )

The last episode of Cheers involved one of the characters turning off the light and shutting the door of the bar for the last time. Your analogy reminded me of it. I forget that you are retarded in the way of mind-numbing Boob Tube. :tongue: :laugh:
Member #285 - Civilian